I'm going to experiment with cooling meat in water for the same reason I cook meat in water (i.e. sous vide).

My thought is basically that if I get an animal down and the air temps are high enough, the fastest way to cool that meat is to get the animal quartered (or boned out), get the meat into appropriately sized plastic bags (durable garbage bags or the like) and get the bags into water (in such a way as to have no water ingress), the meat will drop temp much more quickly than by hanging in a treat or similar until it can be put on ice. In fact, it may even be faster to get the temps down on the meat more quickly than they would before you put it on ice (so as to avoid melting as much ice and getting the meat cooled off even more quickly).

This is due to convection (i.e. air flow) being less efficient at heat transfer than conduction (which is the same reason that cooking via water bath is so effective of the age old trick of thawing meat in a sink full of water, etc).

I think the possible cons to this process are just to do with bacteria...both by keeping the meat in a bag too long (as it likely won't reach cool enough temperatures via this process to actually prevent bacterial growth...but the idea is more to shed the main heat so that it will get much colder more quickly once it's on ice) and or by having water that may have bacteria in it get into the bag. Those are both pretty preventable issues.

Any flaws in my logic?