Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: radios used on logging roads

Re: radios used on logging roads

Quote Originally Posted by TedMcGill View Post
    I’m hunting north of Prince George 7-16A and was wondering if anyone knows the frequency I need to have programmed into my radio
    Get all the RR channels and LADD 1, 2 AND 3

Have 80+ channels/frequencies all around PG
    Most are now using the RR channels.
    PM me if you want.

I use Baofengs.
    At least 5W, but i think mine are 8W?
    As far as cheap go, that is the way to go.
    If you want better and pay more, than others have posted already.
    Works to listen in on RR's and who is around and where.
    And have used it to call out my km and direction as well if road is active.
    They seem to appreciate when the guys working are hauling.

Please use your VHF when travelling logging/mining/resource roads. The signage at the start/exit point tells you the sequence when calling.
    Mine are a pair of Icom mobiles in truck and Jeep. Stay safe.

Ted. If I’m correct you need a licence from the Federal Goverment to use your radio as when I first inquired about radios on HBC that is what I was told and that is what I got ! About $40.00 a year . I have mine !I have an ICOM Handheld . I did not get a chance to use it last year as the roads we used in the bush were not active haul roads . There a lot of knowledgeable fellas on here
    Arctic Lake
    I’m hunting north of Prince George 7-16A and was wondering if anyone knows the frequency I need to have programmed into my radio
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Yes you are required/supposed to have an amateur radio license if operating an amateur radio. But there is no fee for a basic (Ham)amateur radio license. So not to sure what you paid the $40 bucks for?
    https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf01862.html
    Fees

A fee is not required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

• to issue an initial station call sign and Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic Qualification;
    • to issue a replacement certificate due to loss or damage;
    • to issue a replacement certificate with a new call sign, due to a change in address to a new province or territory; and
    • to issue a replacement certificate as a result of obtaining an additional qualification such as Morse code, or Advanced.

A fee of $60.00 is required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

• to change an existing call sign (including changing to a two letter call sign);
    • to issue a call sign to the station of a club or other organization;
    • to issue an amateur radio operator an additional station call sign; and
    • to issue a special event or special prefix station call sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Ted. If I’m correct you need a licence from the Federal Goverment to use your radio as when I first inquired about radios on HBC that is what I was told and that is what I got ! About $40.00 a year . I have mine !I have an ICOM Handheld . I did not get a chance to use it last year as the roads we used in the bush were not active haul roads . There a lot of knowledgeable fellas on here
    Arctic Lake
    I doubt you will find a log truck operator anywhere that actually pays a license fee. They are happy to not run over pickups, and appreciate anyone with a radio giving them the "right of way". Ive been using these radios for 20 years, no licensing no issues...just another Govt money grab

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I use Baofengs.
    At least 5W, but i think mine are 8W?
    As far as cheap go, that is the way to go.
    If you want better and pay more, than others have posted already.
    Works to listen in on RR's and who is around and where.
    And have used it to call out my km and direction as well if road is active.
    They seem to appreciate when the guys working are hauling.
    The Baofengs are known to nNOT have the best mic in the hand held units. This makes is hard to have the trucks actually hear what you are saying.
    If using one it is best to get an external mic. This combined cost, almost puts you into a proper hand held radio.

enlarging a wee little bit, that tiny little hole where the mike pickup is greatly enhances audio. Too large can make things worse as picks up too much background.

Go to your local radio store and they should have resource road channel map of the province. Might also be posted on the web somewhere

As as someone who drive resource roads daily I would recommend that recreationalists only use radios to listen. Radios are busy enough with industry traffic and adding more chatter wont make roads safer.

Thx