Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: radios used on logging roads

Re: radios used on logging roads

^^^^yes, you don't have a conversation with your buddy driving in another vehicle while on an RR channel!
    Those are for the folks working.
    Only use RR to tell them you location.
    Use a second channel (which i like on the boafengs), some channel completely different to converse with friend while listening still
    to any RR work communication.

FYI, definitely had my small share of hunting intel while listening in on these guys working

All Baofeng radios can be set to monitor 2 channels at once so you can monitor the RR channel and your walkie/talkie channel at the same time.

When traveling in a group On an RR road. I use my truck mounted Icom 2300H to stay in communication with the other trucks in the group who all have Truck mounted Vhf's. While monitoring and calling mileage, with a Chinese hand held connected to a magnetic antenna on my roof, greatly extending it's range. Makes for a lot less chatter on the working RR and everyone in the group knows what is going on as most are also monitoring the RR on their handhelds. And if not they are getting the info from the group on our main traveling freq.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Yes you are required/supposed to have an amateur radio license if operating an amateur radio. But there is no fee for a basic (Ham)amateur radio license. So not to sure what you paid the $40 bucks for?
    https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf01862.html
    Fees

A fee is not required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

• to issue an initial station call sign and Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic Qualification;
    • to issue a replacement certificate due to loss or damage;
    • to issue a replacement certificate with a new call sign, due to a change in address to a new province or territory; and
    • to issue a replacement certificate as a result of obtaining an additional qualification such as Morse code, or Advanced.

A fee of $60.00 is required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

• to change an existing call sign (including changing to a two letter call sign);
    • to issue a call sign to the station of a club or other organization;
    • to issue an amateur radio operator an additional station call sign; and
    • to issue a special event or special prefix station call sign.
    An amateur radio license allows you to broadcast on the a amateur frequencies. It does not permit you to broadcast on the commercial frequencies which is where the resource road frequencies lie....

There are three VHF license types. Amateur, Commercial and Marine. Each license type permits you to use a particular VHF service.
    Think of it this way.... There are three gun license types. Non restricted, restricted and prohibited.
    What you have proposed here with the amateur license is akin to thinking your non restricted gun license gives you permission to acquire a .45 magnum handgun ....
    Last edited by westcoaster; 07-29-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stresd View Post
    Yes you are required/supposed to have an amateur radio license if operating an amateur radio. But there is no fee for a basic (Ham)amateur radio license. So not to sure what you paid the $40 bucks for?
    https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf01862.html
    Fees

A fee is not required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

• to issue an initial station call sign and Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic Qualification;
    • to issue a replacement certificate due to loss or damage;
    • to issue a replacement certificate with a new call sign, due to a change in address to a new province or territory; and
    • to issue a replacement certificate as a result of obtaining an additional qualification such as Morse code, or Advanced.

A fee of $60.00 is required for the issuance of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate in accordance with the following:

• to change an existing call sign (including changing to a two letter call sign);
    • to issue a call sign to the station of a club or other organization;
    • to issue an amateur radio operator an additional station call sign; and
    • to issue a special event or special prefix station call sign.
    The annual $40 from Industry Canada assigns you a frequency & allows you to operate the VHF transceiver you've registered with them on that channel. Transmitting on any other channel requires written permission of the frequency holder. That aside, no one is going to turn you in keeping safe on an FSR or transmitting on another channel in the event of an emergency. Keep it short & to the FSR protocol.

My original VHF is an 8 Channel Kenwood & the frequency assigned is the BC LAD or general trucking frequency. That's the one that is licensed with IC, subject to an annual renewal & fee. I also have several Baofengs as they have more than enough channels to hold all the FSR frequencies. If I have to re program the Kenwood for an FSR channel I don't have for a hunt, I have to take it to the vendor & that costs every time.

Technically every transceiver in your possession requires a separate license. Commercial users with fleets operating VHFs have some sort of fleet license if not mistaken. I keep my license current with annual $40 renewal & use it mainly on FSRs to stay safe. If it's in the vehicle while I'm on the highway I'll monitor the LAD channel but rarely transmit on it. It can be useful to advise on road closures, accidents or if there happens to be a speed trap set up somewhere. Some truckers will get on there with their life story or to chit chat. I don't have a HAM or Amateur operator's license.

Quote Originally Posted by TedMcGill View Post
    I’m hunting north of Prince George 7-16A and was wondering if anyone knows the frequency I need to have programmed into my radio
    Here you go. Frequencies themselves are no longer posted at the entrance of FSR, rather the RR#. Each RR is assigned a specific frequency & the RR# may be used in a number of different areas, usually very far apart to prevent interference.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...s/channel-maps

This link has charts of RR vs Frequency.
    https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf11127.html

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    I doubt you will find a log truck operator anywhere that actually pays a license fee. They are happy to not run over pickups, and appreciate anyone with a radio giving them the "right of way". Ive been using these radios for 20 years, no licensing no issues...just another Govt money grab
    To each their own but I'm fairly certain logging truck operators & companies are fully licensed. In fact some of them pay to own a specific frequency. You may never get caught, then again if you do the fine can be substantial, especially on the commercial side. $40 a year to have your radio licensed is a small price to pay in the bigger scheme of things.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf10972.html
    Last edited by mike31154; 07-29-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Once upon a time you needed to pay money for a CB or Marine vhf licence. Both became so popular in the ensuing years that it was impossible to police. So now no license is required. Coming from a hardcore CB background Yaesu, Moonraker and Palomar Linears. Back in 2005, realizing that CB had run it's course, I bought my first Icom 2200H and never looked back. Now running a 2300H. Spoken to many Truckers on the RR roads and they have never once asked to see my amateur licence or asked for my Call numbers. They are just extremely happy that I am able to communicate with them, calling mile signs and pullouts , to help make their job trucking RR roads much safer. One time comes to mind when north of Fort St James and we were heading in for moose. Three trucks and trailers. They were punching a new larger road over the old one. Going through one of the constructions landings to get where we needed to go, it came over the RR freq that someone, communicating to someone else, was sure hoping that group of trucks had radios. Answered back that we sure did. Turned out it was a couple company pickups over in a side of the landing. Went over had a chat with them and were able to gain some great info on what to expect and where to cut off the new road to get on the ole to where we wanted to be. Sorry. But you Can't do that with a $40 license and legal one channel radio.

Agree . . . the RR channels and their use is a safety issue. Learn the protocol as posted at the entrance to the road, and call your up/down check points. Have loaded logging trucks for 4 decades, and this switchover to the easily accessible Resource Road designation is a welcome change.

Those haul drivers do not want to lose time/trip/$$ by bumping into you. Call your up/down points, and listen. There's other channels for chit-chat.
    Believe that there will be no license needed at some time in the future for the RR channels.

Why is this still a debatable subject? Almost like the drinking and driving subject.....