Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SpotX messenger review

Re: SpotX messenger review

I wondered how APRS would work instead of these Satelite devices. Presuming you could get a repeater and you have a HAM lic. ?

https://www.aprsdirect.com/
    Christopher Hitchens: "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
    Jonathan Swift: “It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    Here's a copy of a post from another site I frequent. I found it helpful.

I have used all of these devices plus many radios and sat phones in my service and professional careers.

Different types (rated in priority in terms of absolute success rate)
    ALL THREE use RF (Radio Frequency) to communicate with Satellites, period. A PLB uses 406MHz which is UHF (Similar to GMRS) UHF is Line of Sight radio transmission but does penetrate organics like trees very well but has a bigger power source and stronger transmitter typically. InReach and Spot also use RF but much higher frequencies just over 1600mhz these signals penetrate the atmosphere better.

Emergency beacons
    PLB
    . The most common types of Emergency beacons can be divided into two broad categories, emergency position-indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) and personal locator beacons (PLBs). These units use HEO High Earth orbit government communication satellites and are either on or off, no other feature. Come get me people are dying or not in use. No monthly fee's. Can't message.
    IF NOT ACTIVATED they can not be tracked.
    Emergency Satellite Communicators
    -LEO Devices
    Inreach/Zoleo, these use Satellites in Low Earth Orbit mostly on the iRidium Satellite constellation. These devices allow two way text messaging as well as providing your position information and have OH SHIT SOS buttons where they send the cavalry OR you can text and advise situation as to being non life threatening, ambulatory or whatever. Requires monthly plans. CAN BE TRACKED when in us even if you don't press a button (as in unconscious) as well as last known position information if battery dead or unit off is available to searchers.
    Sub LEO Devices Spot / Globalstar, these devices are in Low Earth Orbit but at the bottom of that spectrum and operate on the much smaller Globalstar Constellation. Some of these devices allow two way text messaging (some outbound messages only, you can say what help you need but get no updates) as well as providing your position information and have OH SHIT SOS buttons where they send the cavalry OR you can text and advise situation as to being non life threatening, ambulatory or whatever. Requires monthly plans. CAN BE TRACKED when in us even if you don't press a button (as in unconscious) as well as last known position information if battery dead or unit off is available to searchers.

Why does "line of sight" "UHF" and HEO/LEO/Sub LEO matter to you? Simply put the best chance of getting a signal out goes to the clear line of sight so if you refer to the picture below you will see what I mean. Tight thick forest canopy can also cause these issues not just mountains/cliffs.

There is the segway into why the Spot is a poor idea, it uses Sub LEO low orbiting satellite constellation but also far fewer satellites so you need a much larger view of the sky to get them to work. Inreach is iridium and use Higher altitude satellites so have better line of Sight.
    Not simple is it?
    My advice....
    PLB is the most reliable BUT must be activated by you (unless your using some larger aviation or Marine units) can only be used to cry for help. So if you are conscious and want to request help this is for you. Costs 0$/month. 250-500+ to buy.
    InReach, Almost as good coverage as the PLB BUT is two way trackable so if you are conscious you can send two way messaging for assistance whether it is dire or just a tow truck. If you file a ride plan with loved one as you should for any remote type activity like hiking or whatever, if you dont check in )you badged your head and are unconscious) they can still send help. Costs starting at 20$/month. $300-$500+

Spot - Don't bet your life on it.

***Zoleo is also on iRidium and is as reliable as InReach BUT does not log tracks or share them with loved ones. Has an SOS button on device BUT texting is phone app ONLY whereas ALL InReach can text from device (awkward but functional) if your phone is dead or absent
    HOWEVER, Zoleo is a dedicated communicator so you get an assigned text number and custom email that anyone can send to so great for business. I have my emails forward to my zoleo email when my out of office is turned on for my normal email.

Confusing? Decide on reliability FIRST as above, then features.

Attachments

• sat blocked.jpg 19.8 KB · Views: 3
    Great post. Basically it says InReach is the best option based on satellite orbit if you want to have 2 way coms.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Hmm HAVE bet my life on Spot for 13 years..the new SPOT GEN X has worked 100 % of the time for me.
    Whatever you personally choose is better than not having these type of devices.
    My new SPOT GEN X HAS worked in my home ..yes under a roof..in the outdoors under some tree cover. .and inside my RV...
    Hi or low..as long as it works..?
    Srupp
    Spot Ambassador

I've been pretty happy with mine. I had a hardware issue but SPOT took care of it quickly ans I have a great device. No coverage issues.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

I put my spot on the shelf, after few days of messages not making it thru on a solo sheep hunt my wife was about to call the cops and SAR. I made it home to find my messages show up days later after my return. I canceled the spot and bought an inreach. No problems with communication for years now. I use it sledding in the winter, dirtbiking in the summer and of course during hunting season.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

Thought I’d update this as I’m still shopping, and found this article where the writer compared Spot X to InReach. The tests were done in Chamonix and The Peaks District in the UK, but both the brands claim 100% coverage in these areas so it’s a valid comparison. The highlight for me was the Spot completely losing contact with satellites while mounted to the front of the hood of a car (with antenna pointed straight up as Spot says it must be)while driving through some valleys, while the Garmin was put in the console inside the car and kept contact while sending tracking points 100% of the drive. That is a BIG difference. I think I know where my money is going...

https://xcmag.com/paraglider-reviews...armin-inreach/
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Thought I’d update this as I’m still shopping, and found this article where the writer compared Spot X to InReach. The tests were done in Chamonix and The Peaks District in the UK, but both the brands claim 100% coverage in these areas so it’s a valid comparison. The highlight for me was the Spot completely losing contact with satellites while mounted to the front of the hood of a car (with antenna pointed straight up as Spot says it must be)while driving through some valleys, while the Garmin was put in the console inside the car and kept contact while sending tracking points 100% of the drive. That is a BIG difference. I think I know where my money is going...

https://xcmag.com/paraglider-reviews...armin-inreach/
    Yeah I found the difference in satellite signal to be very different.

I used a Spot product for several years and have been using the Inreach for a couple months.

The Inreach has reception in thick timber, even while inside my pocket or backpack. I kind of noticed that right away while testing out the device at home. It worked just fine in my living room with the curtains closed... same thing while in a vehicle.. has a signal anywhere in the jeep.

I still think both products are pretty good, but one is more impressive in my opinion.