Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SpotX messenger review

Re: SpotX messenger review

I have had the spot x for the last 2 years. The buttons are a little old school but it has worked well for me. There is a delay between messages compared to a cell phone
    Last edited by jac; 03-29-2021 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    You will love the inreach mini. I bought this before my solo northern Rockies hunt this year. Every msg sent quick. You can also Bluetooth it to your phone and txt with your iPhone. The Topo maps is awesome too on your phone.
    100% recommend this product to anyone. Very impressed.
    X2. Got mine a year ago. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I have a spot gen 2, but looking at the Spot X or Inreach Explorer. Looking forward to your review on the mini
    Edit: My previous reply, I thought a cell phone was required to send a custom text through the Mini, but I just read that is not actually the case.

Seems like a good option. The Explorer is kind of clunky
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-30-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I have had the spot x for the last 2 years. The buttons are a little old school but it has worked well for me. There is a delay between messages compared to a cell phone
    I actually like that part... that it has a keyboard. Kind of reminds of of an old school blackberry or palm pilot. A lot easier to text on than the inReach (unless are you using a cell via bluetooth)

Well, I got it all activated, device updated and what not.

Went with the basic (safety) plan for a one year term (Freedom plan is not worth it if you are going to use it 8-9 months out of the year, as the plan costs a few bucks more and there is $50 annual fee to be month-to-month)

So I can still pump out 10 text messages a month, unlimited pre-set messages, all of which I believe include my waypoint / map location.

Tracking and stuff like that does not appear to be included in the basic plan, but sending preset messages with the location is close enough.

Text messages appear to pretty much instant and reception seems great. I sent my wife a test message from the living room (only window 10 feet away with curtains mostly closed) and she got it right away, and her reply came through the same... just as fast as regular cell phones)

Heck of an upgrade. Pretty happy with it so far. Still a lot to play around with.

Hmmm I have the SPOT GENX ,RECIEVED IT last summer.on the 35 day outing I recieved and sent 500 texts..yes five hundred..
    All worked as advertised.
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm I have the SPOT GENX ,RECIEVED IT last summer.on the 35 day outing I recieved and sent 500 texts..yes five hundred..
    All worked as advertised.
    Srupp
    That is great. It looks like a nice little device. I really like the keyboard on the Spot Gen X. Texting from the inReach itself (without bluetooth) reminds me of trying to text from a Nokia 5190 or some other late 90's gadget.

Also like the price of the Spot X / Plans a lot more.

I went with the inReach because of the satellite coverage (wet coast timber), virtually instant send/receive and the maps (though I like iHunter phone app better for maps, just a bonus to have a backup navigation device in the rare event I ever need it, you know, if maps, compass and cell phone all fail)

Thanks for the detailed review. Good info

Has anyone had experience with the Zoleo. I've been looking at one for a while. They seem to have pretty good reviews and their plans are cheaper than I inReach.
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

Thanks for the bump Caddis. I searched here a week ago to look at threads like this and this one didn’t come up. I was close to ordering an X, and considering a Mini. Leaning heavily towards the mini now.

Any thoughts on the Mini now that you’ve had it for awhile 270?
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.