Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bags

Re: Sleeping bags

The biggest problem I find with any of the colder bags unless your spending alot of money is weight and packed size. I didnt have the budget when I bough my last backpacking bag. It's a Marmot Scandium -7 that weighs 2 lbs 14 oz and compresses into the size of a rugby ball. Nothing special about this bag. Just a 650 down synthetic combo but has kept me dry and warm in the -1 area. I would like something warmer and lighter and smaller but I know I'm gonna pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    The biggest problem I find with any of the colder bags unless your spending alot of money is weight and packed size. I didnt have the budget when I bough my last backpacking bag. It's a Marmot Scandium -7 that weighs 2 lbs 14 oz and compresses into the size of a rugby ball. Nothing special about this bag. Just a 650 down synthetic combo but has kept me dry and warm in the -1 area. I would like something warmer and lighter and smaller but I know I'm gonna pay for it.
    ive got the same bag. Only time I had it down to -7 yo -10. I needed my puffy jacket and a beanie. Great early season bag though. I’d be comfy down to -5 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank grimes View Post
    ive got the same bag. Only time I had it down to -7 yo -10. I needed my puffy jacket and a beanie. Great early season bag though. I’d be comfy down to -5 I think.
    That's good to know. Haven't tried it yet any cooler yet.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    That's good to know. Haven't tried it yet any cooler yet.
    A reason to always have and pack a decent down puffy jacket. Those things are a real game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank grimes View Post
    A reason to always have and pack a decent down puffy jacket. Those things are a real game changer.
    Yes, a good down jacket is a great addition to your gear.

I all ways vacuum pack a real wool blanket on the way in . As on the way out keeps the flys off the meat . inside the bag its great wrapped around you by the fire clothes drying out great again

Anyone ever try the Teton leef 0 (-18 ) bag? Got it off Amazon and used it in -3. Was perfectly warm. Very affordable bag too.

Pemby_mess Guest

Typically there are three things people care about when it comes to mountain gear:

Quality(durability) (warmth)
    price
    weight

never is this more true than with sleeping bags. So you can unfortunately only get a bag that is two of those things at the same time, but not all three.

high quality bag, with good warmth to weight ratio, will cost a pretty penny. I reccomend the Western Mountaineering line.

i run a mountain hardwear mountain whisperer. its a 950 fill down bag. its good to -7*C and weights like 1 1/2 lbs. compresses super small. atmosphere has them on sale right now. i dont have any complaints on it yet
    Last edited by madcalfe; 01-23-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Dang... old thread. Well, anyways, here goes...

Lots of different options mentioned here, and lots of price range too.

I've had many bags over the years and used to listen to all those who said you must have synthetic for our wetter climate, and down will get wet and it will be hard to dry and you'll get cold if it gets wet etc.

I gave up on my synthetic bag(s) ages ago and went to exclusively better quality down bags, and have never looked back - and they really are better in so many ways. Being truly cold at night on some wind-blown mountain, which I've experienced a few times, is really not a happy way to spend the night - lesson being that it really is worth spending the appropriately when it comes to your sleeping bag/sleep system.

Currently, I have a Marmot Plasma 15 (a 15F or about -9C rated bag) for most of my backpacking. It's been very good, and very comfortable for the past almost 6 years of use (I only have about 40-ish nights in it) in various conditions. It's held up great, and will get lots more use.

I also have a Taiga M30L since about 1994 which is their Morningstar line of bags, it's been amazingly durable, and long lasting. It's well made, I've never had a cold night in it though I've never really pushed it much past its -11C rating. It has a dryloft outer shell (Goretex type stuff that resists water). I'd highly recommend these as a great bag, and Canadian Made. These are not the lightest bags, and other higher end bags will have more features, but it's an excellent product.

Many sleep systems have been evolving over the past number of years, and quilt style sleep systems are very much worth considering if weight savings is important to you.

The other part of all of this is that the "foamy" or Thermarest that you sleep on is a super important part of your sleep system, and should not in any way be overlooked when considering what you're going to be doing with your sleep system.

I moved to the Thermareast NeoAir Xlite and then the NeoAir Xtherm for all my camping now and have never looked back. Great products, and noting that they should not be inflated by breathing in to them - get the inflation stuff sack with them. Some people may find other brands more comfortable, but I've been really pleased with this product - durable, well made, good insulation, light weight.

I've been considering other bags for much lighter weight options for sometime now, and will be looking in to brands like Feathered Friends, Enlightened Equipment, Z Packs and others.

~NH3
    Last edited by Night Hawk 3; 01-23-2019 at 01:34 AM.