Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bags

Re: Sleeping bags

^^^ How small does your Taiga bag compress down to? I'm looking at getting one...seems to be a pretty good deal for the money.

you should also check out nemos new sleeping bag the kayu it looks pretty nice. decent price and light!
    https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/kayu/

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    you should also check out nemos new sleeping bag the kayu it looks pretty nice. decent price and light!
    https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/kayu/
    Those look nice! Would be like to hear some reviews

I’ve got a Taiga cloud 9 -11. And its fantastic. Been on elk hunt in northern BC with it in a tarp tent with no problems. It ends up the size of a 4L milk jug all packed up. It might not be as good as a wm bag but for less money. Just my opinion

It's hard to beat the milsurp sleep systems for the price. They can be a bit bulky however, but depending on weather you don't need to pack the entire thing.

I have a WM Puma (-32C) bag and have slept in it comfortably in at least -29.5C wearing only light merino underwear. I say at least -29.5 because that is where my Kestrel temperature logger decided to go on strike. Apparently lithium batteries cannot handle those temperatures. IMHO nothing spoils a trip quicker than a bad night's sleep due to the cold. I bought my WM bag after experiencing such a night...
    It packs up amazingly small, does not weigh much and costs less than a decent rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 35rem View Post
    I have a WM Puma (-32C) bag and have slept in it comfortably in at least -29.5C wearing only light merino underwear. I say at least -29.5 because that is where my Kestrel temperature logger decided to go on strike. Apparently lithium batteries cannot handle those temperatures. IMHO nothing spoils a trip quicker than a bad night's sleep due to the cold. I bought my WM bag after experiencing such a night...
    It packs up amazingly small, does not weigh much and costs less than a decent rifle.
    Just a tip for people unaware, in regards to sleeping in a high quality down bag.

If you find yourself pushing the limits of your bag, the last thing you want to do is wear anything!

All that does, is restricts your body heat from radiating through to the down.

Your skin needs to be as close to the down as possible to, "ignite", its inherent properties.

Western Mountaineering bags are famously under rated.

I have the WM Antelope GWS, rated at -15c.

Was out in -20c in Dec, handled it no problem!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Just a tip for people unaware, in regards to sleeping in a high quality down bag.

If you find yourself pushing the limits of your bag, the last thing you want to do is wear anything!

All that does, is restricts your body heat from radiating through to the down.

Your skin needs to be as close to the down as possible to, "ignite", its inherent properties.

Western Mountaineering bags are famously under rated.

I have the WM Antelope GWS, rated at -15c.

Was out in -20c in Dec, handled it no problem!
    I don't know how many times I've climbed into my bag, and stripped to my underwear, and had a great night's sleep, toasty warm, while my hunting partner shivers in his sleeping bag wearing half his gear. Then in the morning, I can layer up and be toasty warm, while he is acclimatized to all his layers, plus the bag! But no one wants that first cold 5 minutes!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I don't know how many times I've climbed into my bag, and stripped to my underwear, and had a great night's sleep, toasty warm, while my hunting partner shivers in his sleeping bag wearing half his gear. Then in the morning, I can layer up and be toasty warm, while he is acclimatized to all his layers, plus the bag! But no one wants that first cold 5 minutes!
    Yep!

Remember to put your water bottle, any clothes you care to put on first thing, in your bag.

Bloody forgot the water last time, ugh..

#checklist
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
    ^^^ How small does your Taiga bag compress down to? I'm looking at getting one...seems to be a pretty good deal for the money.
    I just got the -18C 1001 Nights bag. I bought a 30L compression sack to put the bag and puffer coat into. With just the bag in the compression sack, I can bottom out the compression straps at about 10L. Could probably get it a bit smaller with the 20L compression sack. The thing feels like being inside a cloud.