Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post

There are disadvantages though, at least for me. I have passed on animals at last light knowing how much work it will be and how terrified I will be.
    ^^^ Also this. My first solo blacktail was a 2 km drag in the dark through cougar country. No light the whole way, so remember your headlamp.....

Quote Originally Posted by ryanonthevedder View Post
    ^^^ Also this. My first solo blacktail was a 2 km drag in the dark through cougar country. No light the whole way, so remember your headlamp.....
    I always pack 2 lights. Ever tried to replace the batteries in the dark, not fun.
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

Get a GPS
    -----------
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

The mornings are best to be adventurous and explore ... the reason being if for some reason something goes sideways you have the rest of the day to get things straightened out ... for later in the day until you get more comfortable find a vantage point ... a cut or some place you know well and sit and watch knowing how far your camp is .... leave the ugly areas for the morning ... : )

Lots of good advice here. I hunt alone quite a bit. I love the quiet. I see way more animals when solo too. All the usual common sense rules apply. You really shouldn’t be doing dumb things in the dark with no one knowing where you are and no communication even if there is 3 or 4 of you out together...

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by greenhornhunter View Post
    Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I am looking into some somewhat familiar territory. That way I can have a plan for the wife to come and find me.
    Depends on the how the relationship is with her I guess ....maybe tell a buddy to just in case
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

You can still hunt alone if your with someone on a hunt. You make arrangements to split for the day, and head off to an area you want on your own from camp.
    By yourself, like George Thoro good -- when he drinks alone, he drinks by himsel elf!
    Jel -- you walk off by yourself, your own speed, you making thee only noise, stop start when you want -- to walk you walk, when stop, stop.
    ---------------------- Split for the day ok ------------go on your own vah lish shawn --> keep your eyes peeled, your lips sealed, your ears wide open, ready to hit the pin
    ----With any luck, you'll see the big buck, give yerself a chance, you'll see the Moss Back prance -- Drop the pin, sight on in- pull the trigger whad yah figure?
    Last edited by Jelvis; 09-05-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: MULE DEER are thee perfect wild animal in the world

Do it.
    if you wait for everyone else, nothing gets done. BUT- if you commit to doing it , you’ll see that next year your buddies will know you’re serious. Taking hunting seriously is what it takes to be good .... you can still have fun of course, but there is a lot of great advice here.

You’ll test yourself in ways you didn’t think of before,.. Just wait till. That “thing” you see nbefore first light turns out to just be a stump!

For me the happiness and enjoyment in the mountains is much stronger when shared.
    I find it depressing to be alone on those long dark nights with no one to share a joke or story with.

I've done it. And will continue to do it but I keep solo trips to overnighters only. If I'm going for longer I like to have company.

However, now that I have a GPS communicator being able to text my gf at night and stay in touch makes a world of difference.

I guess I'm just not as anti social as I always thought

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Get a GPS
    -----------
    Get a compass and learn how to use it. Far more reliable