Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

AgSilver - do you have a link for that setup? I’m often by myself in the bush and that podcast as me feeling the same way.

I do t rock it anymore but I’ve always been a bear spray on the bino harness and fire from there kind of guy. Practiced with it many times. No issues easy to aim shoots bear height real easy.

Sure thing:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OneTigris Drop Leg Platform - MOLLE - they have bigger/more coverage ones, but I specifically wanted less.

Then I just looked for a MOLLE water bottle holder as I figured that gave the best options. I got two to try, but like this one best:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then, I just leave the spray in the little stretchy holder it came in and slide that into this little thing (there are more local options of the same basic style if you want prime shipping - they just cost a bit more) and then pull the cord up top over the top of the spray so it doesn't interfere with the mechanism and Bob's your uncle! (which, as my staff were telling me, is apparently "a very Caucasian saying"...)

Works pretty slick, I think.

Perfect, thanks!

I may have to go the bino chest rig route. Never thought of that!

I kinda prefer to keep the stuff further away from my face and, in a bad situation, I feel like I'm more likely to be able to reach my leg and not hit myself in the face with the spray.

Mike don't mind me, I'm just going to set up a tree stand on your property......

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Ha, ha, just as I'm posting yesterday's mountain adventure from the comfort of my couch I catch something out of the corner of my eye through the living room window. Turn around to see the friendly neighbourhood 4 point muley browsing my greenery at 10:00 hrs. Time for a solo hunt in the front yard??

I don't usually talk to Trudeau supporters, but when I do, I usually order fries.

"Society is degenerating at a rapid pace. Humans are being socially engineered at a global level. Everything is about identity politics and feelings. Critical thinking is rare." caddisguy

Hunting alone (deer).....I have been doing that since I was a teen, that was only natural after I was out on camping trips by myself at 14yrs driving my parents nuts.
    After 40+ yrs I always check in now that there are ways to communicate, before cell phones etc... there was no way.
    I dont take chances, always hunt area's I'm familiar with and someone always knows where I am, I dont get lost and always have 2 compasses and one of them is in my pocket for easy use, not in my pack. I also use the compass as a snow storm, darkness, fog can turn you around in a 50ft circle pretty quick taking your confidence away leaving you guessing, your compass wont lie. I never, ever step on a log because if you do your just asking for a slip and to get hurt.
    I have had hunting partners get lost ruining my hunting due to trying to find them, not to mention the worrying about what to do, so that doesn't happen anymore.
    I do enjoy the company of another hunter later on in the evening, whether they are new or experienced, so long as they dont mind me being gone from dark till dark because thats just the way I like to hunt.

Lots of recommendations on bear spray.
    Question then -
    How many have ever used it in a threatening situation ?
    Pretty sure I know the percentage rate....

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Hunting alone (deer).....I have been doing that since I was a teen, that was only natural after I was out on camping trips by myself at 14yrs driving my parents nuts.
    After 40+ yrs I always check in now that there are ways to communicate, before cell phones etc... there was no way.
    I dont take chances, always hunt area's I'm familiar with and someone always knows where I am, I dont get lost and always have 2 compasses and one of them is in my pocket for easy use, not in my pack. I also use the compass as a snow storm, darkness, fog can turn you around in a 50ft circle pretty quick taking your confidence away leaving you guessing, your compass wont lie. I never, ever step on a log because if you do your just asking for a slip and to get hurt.
    I have had hunting partners get lost ruining my hunting due to trying to find them, not to mention the worrying about what to do, so that doesn't happen anymore.
    I do enjoy the company of another hunter later on in the evening, whether they are new or experienced, so long as they dont mind me being gone from dark till dark because thats just the way I like to hunt.
    Good words of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Lots of recommendations on bear spray.
    Question then -
    How many have ever used it in a threatening situation ?
    Pretty sure I know the percentage rate....
    I have pointed mine at a bear that bluff charged me but never had to use it.