Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

Good to know! Any more detail?

Warning-extremely graphic-not for the ones with a weak stomach
    Man Survives Bear Attack but Loses Face
    http://americanshootingjournal.com/m...ut-loses-face/
    Mpotzold . The fella I mentioned : It was in the 80's that the fella came to our work I believe selling Disability and Life Insurance Sorry that's all I can recall . Again, I felt for the poor guy !

The story you have shared is horrific ! Man what a survivor this guy is ! When did that happen could not find a date ? Let's all be safe out there when hunting .Everyone have a safe hunting season !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 09-20-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Mpotzold . The fella I mentioned : It was in the 80's that the fella came to our work I believe selling Disability and Life Insurance Sorry that's all I can recall . Again, I felt for the poor guy !

The story you have shared is horrific ! Man what a survivor this guy is ! When did that happen could not find a date ? Let's all be safe out there when hunting .Everyone have a safe hunting season !
    Arctic Lake
    Thanks for the quick response.
    The guy without a face was attacked in May, 2011.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Wow, THAT was graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post

Good to know! Any more detail?

Warning-extremely graphic-not for the ones with a weak stomach
    Man Survives Bear Attack but Loses Face
    http://americanshootingjournal.com/m...ut-loses-face/

I usually hunt alone, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm definitely a social hunter. I love getting off work and the boys all meeting up, loading a truck up with gear....lunch back at camp....sitting around a campfire.... sharing successful moments. For me personally, it's better with friends. But it's gotta be the right people.

With all that said. If you are competent and comfortable in the outdoors. Nothing wrong with going solo!. I go out scouting solo sometimes. And it can be nice getting some time to really be alone. Just always play it safe. You got no one to bail you out. So sometimes you'll have to let an animal walk, that you might have taken with a couple buddies around.

As mentioned abunch. Inreach is worth the money. Solo or with friends.

This thread went from hunting solo.... to grizzly bear attacks???
    There’s usually 5-6 bears behind every other tree...

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    This thread went from hunting solo.... to grizzly bear attacks???
    There’s usually 5-6 bears behind every other tree...
    Bears are an odd animal. Kinda like sharks. The odds of one actually killing you are incredibly low. But some people can't help but let it get to them. I lived in Australia for a short time and a guy I knew, would go out every weekend to the city, do random drugs with strangers and party all night.... but wouldn't swim in the ocean because "there's sharks in there mate! I'm not trying to die!".

Bears are there. They hopefully always will be. Be smart and the odds are in your favor. Hunting solo.. be extra careful...especially once the animal is down and the knife comes out...

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    funny thing came to mind.
    I am fascinated with the ocean, and would love to be a snorkeler/spear fisher and surfer.
    Seen Jaws, and I rarely go in past the knees...lol

then you take my dad, hunts exclusively alone, and if there is even a gutpile in the vicinity, and is believed to be taken
    by another hunter/go, he just "has to" go check it out!!!
    Crazy guy, with very little fear!
    Worse now, cause his "hearing has gone to shit"....lol
    Well if you are ever in Croatia I'll be happy to take you spearfishing. It seems strange but I have no fear to jump in the open water at the plateau that is 13m deep at top and has a cliff dropping to 100m deep and no land in sight for 2 miles, but I have tough time being in the BC woods alone.

I realize there is only so much you can pack going solo but a hell of bush knife is a BK9
    Arctic Lake

I hunted solo when I first started years ago camped alone , and now love hunting alone .. but do enjoy company time to time . But nothing beats a long hunt when you have your dog along
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer