Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Hunting alone

Well over half of my 58 years hunting have been solo. Lots of good and sensible advise given within
    this thread. I've also been involved with finding lost hunters several times. Only one was actually hurt,
    all the others made mistakes in thinking they knew how to get back to their starting point. The most
    common scenario has been sighting an animal and trying to follow it without marking your trail, especially
    in terrain that's without obvious landmarks such as swamps and large flat timbered valleys. This is where
    gps type units are worth their weight in gold. As an old school fellow, I've always relied on maps and a
    compass, but to do so accurately takes practice. Always remember that you are your own 'backup' and
    never take unnecessary risks. Never run or jump, and remember that just because you can climb up a
    steep slope doesn't mean you can also climb back down safely.

I have done many solo trips before, infact the only success I’ve had has been on solo trips. I’ve never had an issue but this past week I went into the alpine solo which I’ve never done. I felt pretty lonely, and was missing that other person to keep the spirits up. I wasn’t really scared camping alone, more just missed the hunting buddy. I generally like being alone, but I learned that for bigger, longer trips, probably best to go not alone. That being said I probably will since it’s hard to find people who are willing to hike that far and sit and glass in the cold for hours. The gps did help and I can chat when I’m up there. Kinda learned something about myself. Not as anti social as well as I thought

Solo hunting is very rewarding. It makes the experiences more personal and feels more raw than hunting with someone. Great advice on navigating. My two bits would be to choose your footing carefully. If you slip, consider it a warning that you are not being careful enough and adjust. Have a great season!

When solo hunting always make sure your very safe with knives when you get your deer, a knife used for gutting is sharp and if your too hasty, you wasty.
    -- Your hands and arms can get slippery with blood. Have a towel in pocket for wiping hands and go slower than you want, cuz your excited.
    Jel -- Hunt alone for the bone -- or stay at home, cuz if you wait for someone else to go too, sometimes you wait a lil too long! Be safe, and do it for the joy of thee Outdoors.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    When solo hunting always make sure your very safe with knives when you get your deer, a knife used for gutting is sharp and if your too hasty, you wasty.
    -- Your hands and arms can get slippery with blood. Have a towel in pocket for wiping hands and go slower than you want, cuz your excited.
    Jel -- Hunt alone for the bone -- or stay at home, cuz if you wait for someone else to go too, sometimes you wait a lil too long! Be safe, and do it for the joy of thee Outdoors.
    So very true Jel...if I were to wait for someone to join me in the many adventures I've undertaken...
    there would be very few adventures!

I’d never go if I waited for others.
    My general outlook on everything not just The hunt.

“Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”

I am also familiar do it yourself. no problem. don't forget to say at my family we go.

Out solo in the Monashees with my bow yesterday. GPS along, location sharing on the phone (Google Maps) so my daughter could track my whereabouts as long there was cell coverage. Surprised to find I had cell coverage when I sat down to rest at the top of the cutblock after coming back down. Pretty sure that wasn't the case in previous years. Even on the highway east of Lumby there are plenty of dead spots.

Saw one doe at Km 2 of the FSR on the way in, abundant tracks during my climb. Wind was at my back on the way up which obviously sucks, but I was hoping the smoky conditions would be to my advantage. I've made this hike before from farther down, but they did more logging in the area last year so I'm able to get to the bottom of the cutblock with the Taco. Probably takes a good 1/2hr off hiking time to the same spot.

This was 2016 similar climb as yesterday but the lower starting point. I recall spooking 2 WT does a mere 50 meters after parking the truck, marked a waypoint of the bedding site. The red line is the boundary between MU 8 & 4.

Yesterday's hike, extension of the FSR not yet updated on Google Earth. Didn't climb as high since it was a shorter afternoon outing vice entire day.

2016 with the 30-06.

Near the same spot yesterday with the bow.

They say your nose is the only thing that keeps growing as you age...

So at the end of the day all I brought home was a section of log to chop up for the fireplace, a nice flat rock for my garden & great satisfaction of an afternoon well spent alone in the great outdoors, only disturbance being noise from aircraft passing overhead.
    Last edited by mike31154; 09-06-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Ha, ha, just as I'm posting yesterday's mountain adventure from the comfort of my couch I catch something out of the corner of my eye through the living room window. Turn around to see the friendly neighbourhood 4 point muley browsing my greenery at 10:00 hrs. Time for a solo hunt in the front yard??

I hunt alone 95% of the time, never give it much thought but there have been times where I've stretched my comfort zone and done stupid things...would like to think I am wise enough now to make smarter decisions

The goal is confident and capable, avoiding complacency....and sometimes shit just goes wrong, and that's when having a friend with you is invaluable....I owned a spot when they first came out, didn't work well and sold it, am looking into the inreach this year, expensive but worth it

I found a recent reminder in one of my hunting spots this year, from one hunter to another, RIP buddy...let's all stay safe out there

Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster