Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

Hey GreenHorn,

I will be up that way come end of September, into the first days of October.
    I think from pm, you know where I hunt.
    If you want, you can always join us.
    Pm me if you want my Home #

Just a story that hits very close to home for me and mine, beautiful area he was in.
    https://www.mygrandforksnow.com/9025...s-lost-hunter/

Interesting how the device though perhaps life saving in this circumstance still caused a significant amount of confusion
    how would Srupp put it - hmmmm
    Last edited by Linksman313; 09-19-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

The difference between your face and leg with a can of spray makes no difference if it gets pointed in the wrong direction or gets away from you. My feeling is that even if things go to shit and you get into close quarters it’ll be attached to you still. Let out a big cloud from underneath and at least you’ll be a real spicy meal for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    Just a story that hits very close to home for me and mine, beautiful area he was in.

Interesting how the device though perhaps life saving in this circumstance still caused a significant amount of confusion
    i set my inreach up to track me and send track points to the wife(and usually my two brothers) every hour. I'm pretty sure she can forward the link to someone else and they can track me too. So, she should have been able to forward the link to sar and not worry about it.

Its a good piece of mind to have on you when you're exploring. I give the wife a general idea of where I'm going and let her know when I shut the tracking off
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

funny thing came to mind.
    I am fascinated with the ocean, and would love to be a snorkeler/spear fisher and surfer.
    Seen Jaws, and I rarely go in past the knees...lol

then you take my dad, hunts exclusively alone, and if there is even a gutpile in the vicinity, and is believed to be taken
    by another hunter/go, he just "has to" go check it out!!!
    Crazy guy, with very little fear!
    Worse now, cause his "hearing has gone to shit"....lol

Quote Originally Posted by greenhornhunter View Post
    Soo, my hunting buddy could not get the same days off fo a week long hunt and I am still green. The idea makes me nervous but I need to break my curse. lol. Any advice?
    Hunted many times alone since the 60’s.

Some pointers
    -don’t be cheap on equipment/gear including footwear & clothes….get the best quality if possible.

-be prepared for the worst such as inclement weather, accident, medical problem, vehicle breakdown….

-let others know where you’re going & what your general plans are

-be equipped with a Spot & a sat. phone . Having a Garmin GPS helps.

-use flagging to mark a trail from a kill site or when hunting in swampy or bushy areas.

-carry a small packsack containing emergency food, juice/water, first aid, space blankets, rope/shoelaces, flagging tape, Bic lighters, small flashlight, waterproof/windproof matches, extra batteries, extra ammo, toilet paper…

-carry a smaller hatchet, large knife & a sharpener

-forget about camo. Wear hunter orange vest &/or jacket & hat.

Personally I wouldn’t rely on bear spray to save your ass. Just recently 2 people were killed & many, many more have been badly mauled over the years after spraying bears.
    Yes the bear spray saved the day but ˝ of my face is missing!
    -loud yelling at the bear or using a loud whistle may help(been there done that).

-Camera/video camera optional
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post

How did that confusion happen ? Could someone explain ? How is it that the wife's coordinates were for a location in Hope ? Or am I reading this wrong ?
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Hunted many times alone since the 60’s.

Some pointers
    -don’t be cheap on equipment/gear including footwear & clothes….get the best quality if possible.

-be prepared for the worst such as inclement weather, accident, medical problem, vehicle breakdown….

-let others know where you’re going & what your general plans are

-be equipped with a Spot & a sat. phone . Having a Garmin GPS helps.

-use flagging to mark a trail from a kill site or when hunting in swampy or bushy areas.

-carry a small packsack containing emergency food, juice/water, first aid, space blankets, rope/shoelaces, flagging tape, Bic lighters, small flashlight, waterproof/windproof matches, extra batteries, extra ammo, toilet paper…

-carry a smaller hatchet, large knife & a sharpener

-forget about camo. Wear hunter orange vest &/or jacket & hat.

Personally I wouldn’t rely on bear spray to save your ass. Just recently 2 people were killed & many, many more have been badly mauled over the years after spraying bears.
    Yes the bear spray saved the day but ˝ of my face is missing!
    -loud yelling at the bear or using a loud whistle may help(been there done that).

-Camera/video camera optional
    Mpotzold : I actually met a fella who was attacked by a Grizzly and did have half his face removed . Although healed as best it could have it was not a pretty sight. I think he and his girlfriend or wife had been attacked while hiking . Felt for him !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    How did that confusion happen ? Could someone explain ? How is it that the wife's coordinates were for a location in Hope ? Or am I reading this wrong ?
    Arctic Lake
    Sounds like the inreach operator gave them the wrong coordinates

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Mpotzold : I actually met a fella who was attacked by a Grizzly and did have half his face removed . Although healed as best it could have it was not a pretty sight. I think he and his girlfriend or wife had been attacked while hiking . Felt for him !
    Arctic Lake

Good to know! Any more detail?

Warning-extremely graphic-not for the ones with a weak stomach
    Man Survives Bear Attack but Loses Face
    http://americanshootingjournal.com/m...ut-loses-face/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein