Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    do you use a block heater when sleeping?
    A block heater..... r u kidding me!?
    Truck is usually 2 to 4 hrs away from where I drop camp for any given night.
    Block heater.......to me that's nothing more than camping.

Hunting alone is all about getting and being off the the beaten track.
    Camp on ur back, not at a campsite.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Linksman313 View Post
    Hi Ourea and welcome back, quick question as I know you get "out there" quite a bit, which form of communication works for you? (garmin/inreach etc..)
    Hope all your aches and pains are healed and more cam pics coming soon!
    I bring nothing other than my phone and backup power.

I get away to get away.

How many hunters need to hit the SOS button on a hunt?
    Never met anyone that has.

Granted, I have hobbled my way out after a boo boo or 2 over the years but never seen the need to pack tech gear.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Go hunting don’t need all this fancy spot, gps, phone and crap

What ever happened to keeping it simple and going out in the bush hunting. You only need your weapon, knife, bino’s, compass( I am bad for not carrying this even), fire starter, food, and camp

Use you’re head, tell someone where you’re going and hunt. I am starting to think most hunters are scared of the bush these days lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Go hunting don’t need all this fancy spot, gps, phone and crap

What ever happened to keeping it simple and going out in the bush hunting. You only need your weapon, knife, bino’s, compass( I am bad for not carrying this even), fire starter, food, and camp

Use you’re head, tell someone where you’re going and hunt. I am starting to think most hunters are scared of the bush these days lol
    Well well, good ol' HBC ask a honest question to an informed member and get lambasted by some random "holier than thou" type.

Thanks for the response O.

Just some preliminary enquiries as a father of 2 youngsters and on a budget, would like to provide my family with the security of knowing rather than guessing when I am out by myself for extended trips or going to be unexpectedly late.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Well well, good ol' HBC ask a honest question to an informed member and get lambasted by some random "holier than thou" type.

Just some preliminary enquiries as a father of 2 youngsters and on a budget, would like to provide my family with the security of knowing rather than guessing when I am out by myself for extended trips or going to be unexpectedly late.
    Got no issue you carry what you personally need. I just don’t get all the toys guys think they need. I was taught hunting was about getting away and challenging ones self in the bush so my outlook is different

It is more so I see so many make hunting complicated when they can just go out and enjoy the hunt. So many hunters saying you need this and you need that and see many delaying getting out because what they think they need

On a budget learn to keep it simple and focus on your brain/skills they are more valuable then anything you can by

I have two kids myself I get that part and if some communication form of communication is a must so be it that is a personal need

Meant no shot at you but instead can’t believe how everyone pushes for gear

Specific answer.....
    I show my wife a map of where I will be hunting, where I may camp, my general plan for my time in the area. If I am not out by a certain day....its for one of three reasons.

I have killed something.
    I am on to to something special and don't want to come out.
    I am hurt.

Never been hurt bad enough to not make it out on my own.

She knows that my trusted hunting partners know the areas I hunt well and could find me quicker than any emergency crew.

You should feel safer in the hills than in any major city.
    No one is looking to harm you when ur in the mountains.
    Safest place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Specific answer.....
    I show my wife a map of where I will be hunting, where I may camp, my general plan for my time in the area. If I am not out by a certain day....its for one of three reasons.

I have killed something.
    I am on to to something special and don't want to come out.
    I am hurt.

Never been hurt bad enough to not make it out on my own.

She knows that my trusted hunting partners know the areas I hunt well and could find me quicker than any emergency crew.

You should feel safer in the hills than in any major city.
    No one is looking to harm you when ur in the mountains.
    Safest place to be.
    Same protocal for me

I go out solo more than any of my friends, but i am not as anti-social as i thought. I did get a sat communicator to be able to say hello or check in at home. Those long mountain nights can get lonely when you're in your sleeping bag at 8pm
    The ability to SOS if you were to break your leg is nice as well. I have never been close to needing to use it, but it's good to know I have the option.

Multiple day solo hunts are a bit of a mental game that I can agree

While I agree the amount of tech some people bring out these days is excessive I do not view devices such as the inreach along the same lines. Its such cheap and easy peace of mind even if you never have to use it. To each there own and everyones situation is different but when I am out alone I wont be caught without it. Just because something hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it cant, and in a dire situation the day before the day or so before someone that knew you were supposed to be back comes looking could be all the difference

Just my 2 cents