Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

Thinking about I may be stuck in my ways but in the end whatever it takes to give you boys peace to be out there hunting have at it

Good luck and enjoy your hunt is the main thing

If you’re keeping it simple or bring an electronic store just remember calculated risk is what is most important because everything fails

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Multiple day solo hunts are a bit of a mental game that I can agree
    That's where true peace and reflection awaits. Theres nothing to fear other than solitude. I think it is important to 'disconnect' every now and then from our overly connected and on demand world.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I started heading out solo (hiking) in my late teens and early twenties, and then transitioned that into hunting. When my dad found out, he....well....how can I put this... "strongly suggested" that I always go with someone, but knowing that I wasn't good at taking advice, he also told me to be damn careful and think about "every move you make".
    Now that I'm an old fart and so much smarter and less stoopider , I "strongly suggest" that you take it slow at first on solo outings.
    Batteries die, so carry and know how to use a compass (I always carry two). Know the area you are going to and make sure you tell someone where you're going to be and when you're planning on being back (better yet, tell more than one person). Don't even think about taking a shot at an animal you won't be able to retrieve yourself. Don't f***ing cut yourself!!! Make sure you have decent gear.
    There's some great advice on this thread. Take it.

Time spent outdoors can be the best time ever.

Oh and one more thing. There is a good saying....

"Don't step on anything you can step over. Don't step over anything you can step around".

What an experience. i woke up this morning to the groan of a cow moose. I waited a while thinking about what to do. Then a couple of bull grunts. As quiet as I could I stepped out of my tent with my rifle and camera to see a bull just across the lake from me. In my socks and long underwear I debated about what to do and paced around a bit freezing trying to get a few pics. I'm only supposed to be scouting, because my hunting partner won't be here until next week. Before I could make a bad decision, they made me and took off. Looked like a bull, cow and I think the third was a calf
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I hunt alone now as hard to find a solid person .

The idea of no safety net is exhilarating UNTIL you need it, then it just looks really stupid. I listen to mountain climbers you use no ropes and ya it sounds awesome, I get it. Knowing that every move you make is so critical that it could cost you your life will inevitably heighten your senses and make the experience enjoyable on a completely different level. I could see how a solo hunt in the mountains with no get out of jail free card would be awesome. BUT if all of a sudden you find yourself in need of help (broken leg on mountain 15 km in) I guarantee you would be wishing for that SOS button.

So I bring an Inreach on solo hunts in case my life is threatened. I hope I never need it but if I do my family and I will be happy its there.

There have been some really cool mountain climbers but eventually they fell and now they're dead. I'd rather not end up dead.

I hunt alone quite often, and always when doing so, have my gun loaded, safety on, and I always carry a SPOT, which as Jim said above, is nice to have that communication....now, my single biggest fear in the woods is griz, with how tough they are and how fast they are....so, I always am I little worried when going solo into an area with a decent pops of griz, even though my senses are heightened, and I'm loaded and ready to shoot to defend myself....

How many of you hunt solo in griz country, and what do you do to overcome the fear??

Bring a roll of toilet paper along in a plastic bag to keep it dry -- cuz you might need it Hahahahaha
    Jelly drop --

There’s always a risk of running into a grizz but I think that goes up after the shot. A loaded rifle is one thing but you need to have bear spray and carry it on your belt in a holster. Not in a pocket or a pack. Good luck swinging a 26” barrel over your back if you re being rag dolled. We break all the rules of travelling in bear country when we hunt. We don’t make noise, travel at night, wear scent control and if you re lucky you are covered in ungulate blood. I don’t think the fear goes away because a healthy level is a must. Bear spray combined with your gun and play the odds is all you can really do. In heavily hunted areas my big fear is walking in on someone else’s gut pile that has been claimed by a grizz. Another reason to hunt the trail less travelled.

I also do do a lot of horseback hunting but never do that alone. My horse doesn’t like being left alone in the bush and getting off and firing a shot without someone else holding the lead line or tieing it up is hard.

Another member here once recommended bear spray in a leg holster so that it would always be on you but not in the way like it can be if it’s right on your belt. Took me awhile but I finally have found the right combo of parts from Amazon to make a decently low profile leg holster that fits either size can of bear spray. And that is big enough for my “not slim” legs. I like the comfort of having it but it not being in the way. And after listening to Rinella’s bear story (I think it’s called the Meat Tree, if I remember) where they talk about how they got sloppy and didn’t have spray on them (on packs etc) reinforced my desire to get this setup well.

I even tested it riding a bike last week and it was fine there too.

It it does interfere with cargo pockets on that leg - only drawback.