Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

the majority of my hunts are solo and with today’s technology i would never be caught without my inReach device...if something goes wrong having a way to message for help is invaluable...too many things can go wrong, getting lost, hurting oneself, vehicle breakdown the list goes on and on...if your hunting solo have some sort of satellite device period...you owe it to your family and loved ones

also being green to hunting make sure you know how to butcher an animal and that you have the proper gear to take care of your meat cooler ice etc

hunting solo is very rewarding but only you truly know your capabilities...if you think your ready go for it but if you know your not ready to take on such a challenge then wait

Even hunting with a partner I spend most of the time hunting alone... you take this road, I'll take that. You watch this cut I'll watch that one. I'll go to my favourite ridge, you go to the opposite. Meet up for lunch at camp, work out a plan for two separate evening hunts.

Nothing gets on my nerves more that someone else crunching gravel with careless foot placement or filling the air with useless chat... save it for at the camp or in the vehicle. When the work starts with large animals though... it is always better to have a trusty partner to ride shotgun and watch your back while field dressing. Quartering and carrying a moose is a long tough job hunting solo. Nerve racking when evening is approaching and you are in the predators living room.

Hunt alone and you set yourself free! I highly recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Nothing wrong with hunting alone, just be sure that someone knows where you are at all times, have check in times and stick to it.

There's a peacefulness to hunting alone.
    Both quotes have been my experience for ages! You really don't have to do a lot of traveling once you've found the spoor.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

Okay, so I am now planning a solo hunt but want to stay away from the tulameen/whipsaw area (this is where I have been shown but believe there is too much pressure in these areas) I am not the fittest person on earth and am looking for something not too terriblt steep that has a decent chance of connecting. If anyone can point me in a direction it would be much appreciated. I am going out from the LM so leaning towards around Merrit or Keremeos. Pm me if you have any recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by greenhornhunter View Post
    Okay, so I am now planning a solo hunt but want to stay away from the tulameen/whipsaw area (this is where I have been shown but believe there is too much pressure in these areas) I am not the fittest person on earth and am looking for something not too terriblt steep that has a decent chance of connecting. If anyone can point me in a direction it would be much appreciated. I am going out from the LM so leaning towards around Merrit or Keremeos. Pm me if you have any recommendations.
    South of Merritt is pretty steep country, Logan lake area, Ashcroft or may be a bit friendlier if you are worried about things being steep, though your shots could stretch out a longer distance depending on your gear, not great If you're running iron sights lever action.

Pretty much anywhere from hope onwards is going to produce if you put the time in, further away from Kamloops/Kelowna you to the less pressure obviously.

Learn Google Earth Pro, just because an areas steep doesn't always mean you have to climb from top to bottom. But if it is a steep area, take your time, take breaks (you'll see more critters anyways) Always start your hunt going uphill, that way if you get something its a downhill drag.....

I almost always hunt solo on my day hunts and last year I began solo backpack hunting when my hunting partner moved away. Day hunts were never much of a worry, actually prefer going on my own because then I can hunt according to what happens and not worry about anyone else. Solo backpack hunts worry my wife but she knows I don't take too many risks. She's ok with it because she pretty much knows where I'll be and when I'm home. When you do decide to go solo in the mountains make sure you're comfortable with being on your own, if you're worried you won't enjoy the experience.

When in Dout Dont shoot.. and always keep shooting . follow those two rules and everything else is cream cheese
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Thank you great advice.