Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Hunting alone

Soo, my hunting buddy could not get the same days off fo a week long hunt and I am still green. The idea makes me nervous but I need to break my curse. lol. Any advice?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting alone

What are you hunting ? Bring a frame pack to make a carry out easier. Don’t shoot anything in a ravine only on the uphill side of the road. Have a map system so you don’t get lost and other then that just get out there. You can’t shoot anything from your couch

In general, just starting out solo, camp at a provincial camp ground or forest service site...

Head out early road hunting, with a plan to get out and scout...

Build up your confidence from there...

Good luck!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Inform people of your planned location. Update using inreach or cell phone.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Nothing wrong with hunting alone, just be sure that someone knows where you are at all times, have check in times and stick to it.

There's a peacefulness to hunting alone.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Look on bright side.....nobody to debate over hunt plan and direction with....nobody to drink your last beer.....and nobody stinking up your truck..LOL Go have fun. Follow the advice above. Also GPS, compass, headlight, lighter, extra snacks, TP, water flagging ribbon, tarp and thin rope are handy items in your pack if don’t already have them and heading out for a walk around. Ease into it. Recommend starting out by checking out edges of 3-6 year old cut blocks with broken terrain. Look for fresh sign and game trails around edges of blocks etc and find a good vantage point where you can get concealed and can wait/watch in the eve. Headlamp and GPS will come in handy once it gets dark for walk back to truck. Have fun

3rd season hunting solo. Savour the solitude.
    I will however thoroughly enjoy a shared Moose LEH with a couple old pals later this month.

Depends on how comfortable you are out there. Think of your family too. If you dont have a wife or girlfriend who will be nervous about you riding solo out there, tell your parents, or a trusted friend, where you are going, and when you'll be back.

When I started solo hunting, my wife and even a few of my friends didn't like it. But I would explain to them where I was going, what my contingency plans were if the first area didn't work out, etc.
    It's no longer a major stress if I go alone.

Nights alone are still a bit nerve wracking though. Zzzquil is a wonderful product. Works great to keep the squatches away.

One other thing- if you are going it alone, weigh the impact of the stories you tell your loved ones. Dont tell them about the sow bear popping her teeth at you. Dont tell them about the icy road your truck almost slipped off.
    Last edited by Squamch; 09-04-2018 at 06:45 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Nothing wrong with having a INReach or some device to maintain contact with those at home to keep them happy and you safe. I dont leave home without it.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

In my mind, it's the only way to go. Not having to make plans with someone else, work around their schedules etc. Plus, when hunting, you can just hunt. Don't have to be back to pick up "Joe" at a certain time or wonder why he is late.

99 percent of my hunting is done by myself. Just put my pack on and go. Come home when I come home.
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks." - Winston Churchill