Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

95% of my trips are solo, just use your head, hunt high, easier dragging down than up. If you can climb down then do it don,t jump a broken ankle far from the truck could mean a long night in the woods. Leave a plan with family or friends.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

I just bought an InReach mini and although I don't use it a lot for messaging, knowing it's there really takes away that hesitation and anxiety and lets you focus your mental energy on winning.

My philosophy now to do anything you want to do or enjoy, or something you need to do, to stay sane! Don't wait for someone else to do things!
    --You won't be doing half what you could be. Thee other half you'll go kinda anxious Hahaha
    Jel -- I have lots of experience hunting solo -- and now old I like going with a buddy now, my buddy's like road hunting -- I still like still hunting a bit too.
    -- my one hunting buddy this season says he wants to try a little still hunting, so might hit 3-28 with my two buddy's over the season. plus up Noble.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 09-04-2018 at 07:30 AM. Reason: All of us will be happy with oil and gas available

95% solo here too. It’s the best. I do like having buddys at camp for 1-2 week trips but not necessary. Know your limits and stay within. Occupy your mind stay busy. But know when to call it quits to stay safe. I became very very sick this year alone in the northern Rockies, fever and all. I knew it was not safe to stay alone and could certainly not pack a animal out with the flu... somone would have found me dead with a caribou 1/4 on my back. So I called my trip early.. hiked out the entire day got back to truck after dark and drove home..
    Know your limits everyone has them. Inreach is a essential tool for the family man who hunts solo.

Another primarily solo hunter. Just have a plan left with a check in person. The only thing you don't want to do is hurt yourself or get lost; go slow, don't take stupid chances, cover a smaller area well, which as it turns out is about exactly how you want to hunt deer The check in person doesn't have to be a hunter just in info keeper and know to report you missing if you don't check in by x day or time.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Do it! I prefer hunting with my wife but being out there solo is a magical feeling when it's just you and nature. Very rewarding feeling. It clears my head and really gets me in the zone. After a few days of no human contact I find myself listening to air planes while laying in bed at night and thinking about those sky people... where they're heading and if they are eating that Air Canada Cafe

There are disadvantages though, at least for me. I have passed on animals at last light knowing how much work it will be and how terrified I will be.

imo Greenhorne .... it totally depends on what you are loking for...... moose and elk? maybe too big for one rookie..... deer ... hell ya go.... youtube how to gut a deer and give'er
    if you mess it up, you will learn... and unless you have a mentor, your bound to mess something up! or you will never learn!

don't fear the Fack up! Do your part asking questions here and looking at youtube... and go....

Ergo,
    you shoot a deer, and cut the gut bag bad while gutting it... wash the shit out of it with cool water .... then next time you will get it right.
    if you don't have a mentor guiding you this is a very likely thing to happen.... but if you don't have a mentor how else will you learn?

Nothing a matter with going out on your own just leave a plan with someone who will come looking if you don’t turn up at the agreed upon time. My dad is the only one who has a clue where exactly I am going most of the time so I let him know where I am camped, the area I will hunt and when I will be back.

I use use extra caution though and take no chances when it comes to my safety on my own. Also bring a book. It can get lonely when all the chores are done after a few days.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I am looking into some somewhat familiar territory. That way I can have a plan for the wife to come and find me.

All very good tips thus far....also, GPS's are good and useful, but make sure you have a good map of the area you'll be hunting along with a compass and learn how to use them effectively...orient and make yourself familiar with the area around you using the map...have a couple headlamps with spare batteries with you, and it's always good to have decent rain gear, even if you can't afford higher end stuff now, get yourself from an army surplus a military rain poncho, cheap but effective....a siltarp is also a good investment for a daypack, along with a small first aid kit....invest a bit in gear, get familiar with it, and your confidence in being alone out there will increase exponentially..