Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

Quote Originally Posted by Leveraction View Post
    A couple of years old, but none the less.

Most of the time, I hunt and have ended up hunting alone.

I'm not a drinker, and don’t like camp full of beer cans,
    Im also not a smoker, and the smell of cigarette smoke in the bush sure does advertise .
    nothing against those that do smoke or drink and hunt, but it’s not for me.

get yourself a spot device, ( google that = spot device )you can send updates every hour to your family, send a link to your exact location and it has an sos button, press it twice within 1 minute and rescue is coming.
    hunt smart, I recently started spending a lot of time hunting on the water and it’s a very good way of getting away from all the other hunters that don’t want to put in a serious effort to get remote, so you will likely not see anyone and will come across more game.
    animals don’t think of danger coming from the water, IMHO.
    play smart stay close to shore 20-30 yards, life jacket, a watertight bag for survival gear, everything in the canoe roped off, even if you tip, get to shore with your canoe, rope everything up and ashore. Have some dry kindling and a means of starting a fire if your wet, be prepared to spend the night out and as good practice, do that, spend the night out, freeze dried foods, get a mini stove, backpackers stove, 2-3 small fuel bottles, boil water, pour and eat.
    if your on foot, remember your feet are your transport, take care of them, spend money on a good pair of hiking, hunting boots.
    dont hunt in shoes, protect your ankles. Break them in with several hikes in non hunting season months.
    if there uncomfortable, take em back, try others.
    wear a hat, keep the top of your head warm.
    bring a small mirror, 3”x3”, its a great signal means to a search plane.
    I pack an 8 inch knife on my hip at all times, it does not come out of the holder, it’s not a hunting knife.
    it’s a protection knife if I can’t get to my gun,
    if I’m Fortunate enough to harvest an animal, it’s a 3-4 inch blade in my backpack for that.
    I also pack some bear spray
    buy a can of bear spray, go into the woods, make sure your upwind and discharge the bear spray at a stump 15 feet away and see how it works and what it does, then you will know how to rely on it, if you have to.
    keep the wind in your face if you can.

if your returning to a kill site for a 2nd or 3rd round of packing meat out, stay back and watch it for a few minutes before you walk in close
    You will do fine
    Personally I would never rely on bear spray in stopping an attack while camping, hunting…..

We do have some at campsites to ward off curious bears & other larger mammals.
    Never used it to find out if it repels any animal.

Only once had a large cougar approach the camper to about 25 feet away loudly growling & screaming. We were just having dinner(smoked pork chops…) Reached for the double-barrelled 12 g & shot above its head. It quickly ran away never to be seen again.
    Didn’t have any bear spray that time.

I’m a firm believer that bear spray will unlikely prevent a predatory &/or defensive bear attack & may or may not stop a curious bear, be it grizz or blackie.

Here’s a couple of the most recent of many, many examples where spray failed.

1) On 29 July, 2020, Daniel Schilling went to clear trail about a mile from his cabin in Alaska. His dog returned home without him. His wife was very concerned. Searchers found his body, killed by a bear, where he was working. An empty can of bear spray, with the safety off, which had been discharged at the site, was also found.
    Unfortunately he didn’t carry a weapon although being an avid hunter.

2) An unprovoked predatory attack.

Aug. 20, 2020, 44-year-old Stephanie Blais was attacked & killed by a up to 300 lbs. black bear in Sask. while on a satellite phone on call with her dad.
    At the time, Curtis, her husband was in the cabin’s kitchen washing dishes. Through the kitchen window about 30 m. away, he saw the bear on top of SB. Curtis rushed outside and pepper sprayed the bear, but this only aggravated him. Dashing back into the cabin, he grabbed a rifle and shot the bear twice, killing him.(too much time wasted)

Conservation officers said that a necropsy of the bear found it had a stomach full of blueberries – meaning the attack was predatory not defensive.
    https://cottagelife.com/general/sask...k-bear-attack/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I have sprayed black-bears with bear spray. For it to be really effective, you need to about 3 m from the bear and hit it directly in the face. I’ve watched one do a somersault and run into a tree trying to get away. 5 m out and you are not getting a good enough hit. I’m not allowed to carry a gun for work, so this is all I have in the bush (and a belt knife). I carry a big can of the spray. Would it work on a predatory grizz, no idea. Will it work all the time? Probably not. I think, but don’t have proof, that a lot of ‘failures’ are due to people spraying too early. The closest I have been was just over a metre. That was the one that somersaulted and hit the tree. He was totally blinded. Not a big bear by any means. Beats not having anything!

Oh yeah, I do hunt alone. Best way to hunt in my opinion but you do have to keep your head on a swivel if you get an animal down and watch for bears coming in. I lost a deer a two years ago to a black bear, small deer and a big bear in an area closed to bears (Queen Charlotte’s). That was a heart stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Inform people of your planned location. Update using inreach or cell phone.
    Oh and don't LOSE your Gate KEY ! lol RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Oh and don't LOSE your Gate KEY ! lol RJ
    RJ you're killing me
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Look on bright side.....nobody to debate over hunt plan and direction with....nobody to drink your last beer.....and nobody stinking up your truck..LOL Go have fun. Follow the advice above. Also GPS, compass, headlight, lighter, extra snacks, TP, water flagging ribbon, tarp and thin rope are handy items in your pack if don’t already have them and heading out for a walk around. Ease into it. Recommend starting out by checking out edges of 3-6 year old cut blocks with broken terrain. Look for fresh sign and game trails around edges of blocks etc and find a good vantage point where you can get concealed and can wait/watch in the eve. Headlamp and GPS will come in handy once it gets dark for walk back to truck. Have fun
    I'd add to that; InReach or Spot.

When I go out for an hour or a week, I generally, alone or accompanied, bring my hunting pack. With all the above, plus binos, calls, spotting scope, raingear, tyvek suit, game bags, sharpening stone, extra ammo and another knife. On the pack shoulder strap I ductape my Buck 120 and a sleeping mat up top. The pack protects my neck and head from stealth hunters that attack from the rear. (Mature aspen and ponderosa pine or 20/60yr mixed fir/spruce, every time, all the time.) When hunting, scouting or some fishing; when I get out of the truck for more than a quick look, I am locked and loaded.

I also don't "check out" ravens flying over head, bluejay squawks, grunts, growls, fish smells or known bear fishing spots.

When I set-up for a blind, I build something up to the rear of the blind to warn me of approaching trouble.

Sometimes, a "quick look" can get away from you. That's why I have a Buck 103 on my belt and a headlamp and compass in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghilliesuit View Post
    When I go out for an hour or a week, I generally, alone or accompanied, bring my hunting pack. With all the above, plus binos, calls, spotting scope, raingear, TYVEK SUIT, game bags, sharpening stone, extra ammo and another knife.

On the pack shoulder strap I ductape my Buck 120.

Sometimes, a "quick look" can get away from you. That's why I have a Buck 103 on my belt and a headlamp and compass in my pocket.
    Whats the tyvek suit for? I get bugged all the time for having my pack with me even for short walks. Like you, I have seen short walks take many hours to complete. I keep a fixed blade Kershaw strapped inverted on my bino harness so I can get to it easily if I have to.

My wife also used to bug me about taking the .45-70 carbine with me any time we are in the bush. We went for a New Year’s Day walk along the north end of the Lilloet River and after a couple of kms had a set of tracks in the snow in front of us. They had angled in on to the road. I wasn’t thinking bear in snow in January, but after a few paces I looked down and saw med sized grizzly tracks, and looked a few yards further ahead and saw the still steaming spray of shit. She no longer asks me why I bother to bring a gun in the woods.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Ever the optimist, I carry the Tyvek suit if I have to field butcher my harvest or sno-camo. I pack for the trip. If I am going on an evening 2hr blind hunt that I have already scouted that's different than an all day hunt which is different from a 3+ day camp and stalk.

Ahh. I just carry a pair of latex gloves for field butchering
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

The only problem I've had with hunting by myself is when sitting at the campfire.
    I've heard all the stories before.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.