Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

Agree, hunting alone can be really rewarding and relaxing. ALWAYS tell family or friends the area you plan on hunting and stick to that area as best you can, no unnecessary risks - think before you do. You're alone, so if you injure yourself your on your own. Like a guy said, before you shoot you have to assess whether you can retrieve the animal by yourself and get it back to your quad or truck etc..I was a bit nervous back in the day hunting by myself as well, but then you realize guys do it in the more remote back country of Alaska and the Yukon in the middle of Grizzly country! I stay away from new areas I've never hunted before If I'm alone, you just don't know the area and hazards so I feel those are best hunted with a partner, but to each his own. Good Luck and use your head you'll be fine.

This is my solo camp, just over 5lbs.
    I use this into Nov even when the snow flies.
    Snug as a bug in a rug.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    This is my solo camp, just over 5lbs.
    I use this into Nov even when the snow flies.
    Snug as a bug in a rug.

Whatcha got there? That's a nice light and warm setup!

Ourea, what setup is that? 5lb is pretty damn good. What's the rating on the bag?

My tent is 5lb 5oz, Sleeping bag is 3.5lb and mattress is 1lb

I have been leaving the tent body at home and pitching only the poles and fly (2.5lbs).

I can't decide if i should get a new bag or not. My bag is from 2005 but still going strong. It was one of the first waterproof/breathable bags hence the additional weight. There are some lightweight (and expensive) models out now that look fantastic, but honestly, having that waterproof shell is a nice peace of mind when camped just under a tarp

Carbon Reflex tent 2 1/2 lbs
    Static V mat 18 ounces
    Bag is nothing fancy, rated to -2, weighs in under 2 lbs.

I wear a down puff jacket that has a hood when I climb in for the night.
    Sooner carry a 8 ounce compressible jacket to add insulation than 3 extra pounds for a higher rated bag.

If you hunt with a camp on ur back u learn how to shave weight.
    If I go for more than 2 days I bring an ultralight camp chair.
    Trust me, ur back will thank u......just another single lb.

8'x8' fly set up in front of my tent.
    Fire 10 feet in front of that.

Spent many a night in pouring rain and snow relaxed in my chair under the fly sipping a hot Glava, content as a pig in sh*t in front of a blazing fire.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

shaving weight isn't that hard .... it's a matter of how much money you are willing to spend and how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice
    I have a few bag options i'm eyeing for next season but still undecided for a tent. I tried the carbon reflex out at MEC and i just do not fit inside one. Too compact for me.

A marmot Phase 20 bag has my eye .... -7 rating, just like my current one, but well under 2lb for even the LONG model. Bet it compresses down to the size of a softball! .... but $479 USD :/

Blaze a trail with a hatchet in the rut on trees as you go in, the bucks hit trees with their antlers too, for attention and to get a huge neck.
    Has to be in full rut time The peak! follow blaze back, you blaze the tree on the side you see coming back.
    Jel -- All by myself, all alone -- Just you and Mamma Nature kinda getting it on!
    Last edited by Jelvis; 09-12-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: MULE DEER are thee perfect wild animal in the world

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    shaving weight isn't that hard .... it's a matter of how much money you are willing to spend and how much comfort you are willing to sacrifice
    I have a few bag options i'm eyeing for next season but still undecided for a tent. I tried the carbon reflex out at MEC and i just do not fit inside one. Too compact for me.

A marmot Phase 20 bag has my eye .... -7 rating, just like my current one, but well under 2lb for even the LONG model. Bet it compresses down to the size of a softball! .... but $479 USD :/
    Smaller tents will hold warmer ambient temps as ur body will warm up the compact air space.
    Bigger tents are cooler as a result.
    Small detail but makes a big difference in ur sleeping space temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Smaller tents will hold warmer ambient temps as ur body will warm up the compact air space.
    Bigger tents are cooler as a result.
    Small detail but makes a big difference in ur sleeping space temp.
    do you use a block heater when sleeping?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Hi Ourea and welcome back, quick question as I know you get "out there" quite a bit, which form of communication works for you? (garmin/inreach etc..)
    Hope all your aches and pains are healed and more cam pics coming soon!
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm