Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Re: Hunting alone

Most of my hunts are solo. Its nice to have a partner for some hunts but I truly enjoy hunting alone. Here are a few of my solo must haves and some others have already mentioned:
    - know where you are going. Use google earth, hike the area during the day before hunting season and know your way out. Things look very different when walking in and out in the dark
    - a GPS or a good app on your phone is a must. Most GPS apps work outside of cell range now.
    - CARRY BEAR SPRAY. If you forget it, turn around and go back to get it.
    - My gun safety technique doesn't change if I am alone or with others but I double and triple check when alone. No one is around to help if something goes wrong.
    - Communications devices are critical. If you are out of cell range you really should have an inreach or spot.
    - After the shot I am much more cautious following a blood trail. My bear spray holster is open and when I am field dressing my rifle is always on my back. Hunting in grizz country, a lot are conditioned to follow the shot. My head is on a swivel when field dressing. Make noise, sing, etc when carrying out quarters.
    - I prefer gutless method of dressing so that means multiple trips to carry quarters out. I will haul the quarters as far away from the torso as I can, towards the truck and punch the gut. If something comes in, hopefully it goes for that first. I will cover quarters with leaves or branches between trips. Its nice to have a couple buddies on speed dial to help carry out loads. Non hunting buddies get some choice cuts when they help. Hunting buddies get the same favour when they need it.
    - Travelling in the dark is sensory overload. Walking in I rarely use a headlamp. Walking out I always use a headlamp.
    - Always have a person who knows where you are going and when you expect to get back. If I am tree stand hunting I will text or message my wife when I am safely in the stand as that's always another hazard in the dark alone.

You are much more aware of everything when you are on your own but I really enjoy the peace and solitude of a solo hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock&Ice View Post
    You are much more aware of everything when you are on your own but I really enjoy the peace and solitude of a solo hunt.
    Couldn't agree more, great post R&I!
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

^^^yup nothin liem being one with it all. Can’t beat the autumn mornings

I'm going moose hunting alone. For the first few days anyway until my partner can make it to our spot. I plan to work on making camp, scouting and maybe doing a bit of fishing. What am I going to do if I see a moose?

If I just bump into one near a road I may just shoot him and deal with it. A kilometre in the bush at a marsh? Not a chance.

I've done plenty of black bears and deer alone but never a moose.

Moose, shoot real close to a road, from the side of the road up a hill a bit, so you drag it down.
    Jel

Quote Originally Posted by greenhornhunter View Post
    Soo, my hunting buddy could not get the same days off fo a week long hunt and I am still green. The idea makes me nervous but I need to break my curse. lol. Any advice?
    Go.

Jump in the pool, only way to learn.
    Whatever important item(s) you forget you sure wont the second time.

For deer I 100% prefer to hunt solo.
    One is far more in tune with zero distractions and making a much lighter footprint.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Many guys hunt all alone and do it successfully. Some guys go on fly in moose hunts all alone in Alaska, guys over 50 to boot. When I see someone else do something then I know its possible, I know I can do it.

I got a stone sheep solo this year and packed him out a LONG ways. Got a bear with my son (he's only 10 so only a little help) but we backed the jeep right up to the bear. Also, my son shot a goat 8 km into the mountains this summer. I carried out camp plus my son's extra food. He can managed 20 lbs when bushwhacking so I have the rest of the weight.

We have a moose draw and it will just be my son and I and maybe by myself some weekends. I don't want to get to far from the road because moose are much bigger than goats and sheep. Nice to have my son along as he can hold a leg and help a little, he can also keep his eyes peeled for bears. I have been hunting most of my life and have a good idea what to do so I feel confident on my own.

The key for me is having a good backpack and being able to breakdown an animal. I can cut up a moose into manageable portions that I can carry out. It will be hard work but I know I can do it.

I will not let a lack of quality hunting partners keep me from hunting. I am excited for my son to get older and stronger though.

Learn the gutless method, have meat bags, a good backpack, and a large cooler with ice at the truck and it is amazing what you can do. Cold enough and you don't evven need the cooler.
    Last edited by Jimbob; 09-10-2018 at 04:45 PM.

I'm heading out on an over night solo tomorrow. The wife is the one who's nervous. I've been out on lots of solo day trips but this is the first solo overnighter.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I'm doing my first solo hunt for blacktail in 2 weeks

Inreach is a solid investment for a solo or group hinting . not selling a product just a concept