Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Outer Layer Jacket/Pants?

Best Outer Layer Jacket/Pants?

I need new outer layer Hunting gear i know there is not a cure all for every hunting element you can face but help me out with what i am trying to find
    i cant bring myself to drop 1000$ on sitka/kuiu, truth is i cant find a large amount of solid reviews or evidence that convince me its worth the money, Am i Wrong?
    i am looking for Outer Layer Gear that can be worn in early season warmer days and rain and also be layered under for Late Season Cold weather again rain,snow,wind
    Biggest thing is keep the rain and wind off and i can add the insulation with a base layer, mid layer etc as i need for different parts of the hunting season
    without breaking the bank completely but i will pay for gear if i am convinced its worth the Price

What Gear Would You Suggest For Me?

thanks in advance
    Uzi
    A link is only as long as your longest strong chain

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Outer Layer Jacket/Pants?

Harkila Pro Hunter!

I am an advocate for Kings Camo because it works well in the field and, when it did tear under a lot of abuse when I hauled out a muley buck for a long distance for a friend, they gave me a new pair with proof of purchase and a pic of the pants, sent no problems...it can be layered well...I have worn it when conditions changed from rainy to warm, and it wasn't too bad, it has zippered vents at the armpit areas..

I think the expensive gear is worth it, if you hunt a lot.

Keeping an eye on sales can help with the price. Cabelas/BP always has Sitka gear on sale a few times a year. First Lite usually does a "tag soup" sale after the hunting season.

But really. What ever fits your budget and gets you out the most!

I’ve got various Sitka mid layers/bibs/vest, but my favourite outer layer is:

https://www.kommandos.co.uk/en/frenc...parka-cce-camo

Unissued suplus, available online for cheap.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Cabela's brand stuff can be pretty decent for decent prices. Often on sale as well, compared to the higher end models. Have you looked there?

If you can, get a pair of pants with side zippers. Being able to take off the pants or put them on without removing your boots is a huge plus

Good Stuff Fellas im liking the look of this Kings Camo Stuff, Price point is lower but has some great features can anyone else vouch for this stuff? im on vancouver island other suggestions look good but not sure how id go about buying some of it since its European

It’s a tough ask for something to be good in early season and rain, and work well layered under clothing for late season. I searched for something like this a couple years back and found I wasted my money. I really think you’d be best off purchasing a couple pieces of clothing instead. Something like a mid layer merino or fleece and a rain jacket to throw over top. I know that’s not as budget friendly, but if you want to save some cash there are some non-Camo options out there. Outdoor research makes nice gear and any outdoor store has some grey/brown options.

Sitka is the same price point as all the other big non hunting outdoor companies. North Face, Arcteryx, Outdoor Research ....and so on.
    It’s technical gear with camo...
    Companies that use Goretex products are audited by Goretex and have to construct under their rules for Goretex’s warranty to be applied.
    So basically it’s just as good as any other GT product out there.... as long as it’s the same Goretex laminate. They have about 5 different levels of the stuff, just to confuse you more!

After Further Review I Placed An Order For Sitka Downpour jacket and pant i have a friend with the same gear and he loves it keeps him dry he said the only time he gets some leakage is when hes sitting in harsh rain on a quad seat and it forces the water through. nothing is "waterproof" but im hoping this stuff lives up to its name