Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hunter looking for small games

New Hunter looking for small games

Hello guys, I'm new to hunting and looking for small games like rabbit, grouse or duck. I'm taking my wife to our first hunting trip this weekend, can someone please kindly point out some good spots within 2hrs drive from Burnaby?
    I will be using .22LR for all games mentioned above

Thanks!
    Last edited by czskzxwp; 12-03-2018 at 02:55 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter looking for small games

If you plan to hunt ducks you need a migratory bird stamp. If you want to hunt in the lower mainland You will also need a Fraser valley special area licence. There are a couple of public access places to hunt ducks in the lower mainland (ie Boundary Bay,Pitt Marsh etc), but most is private access farm land so it’s tough. Not great grouse Hunting within two hours of Burnaby.

If it were me, I’d take a drive up the Coq and hunt off some of the FSRs in that area. You should see some grouse around and maybe a few bunnies. The short days mean that getting out before sunrise isn’t too hard.

Enjoy the time out there!

22lr is not a legal weapon for ducks read the regs closer so you don’t get yourself in trouble

ducks(waterfowl) For firearms only shotguns with non toxic shot( steel for example)

if you only have a 22lr you are bunnies and grouse only. Not the greatest hunting for these in the lower mainland but you could use it as an excuse to explore possible blacktail deer locations for the future
    Last edited by Wild one; 12-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.

I totally forgot to mention that Hunting waterfowl with a .22 is illegal. Make sure you know the regs! Thanks for the pick up Wild One.

Pick up a cheap pump shotgun and with your .22 you are covered for small game. Don’t forget your FVSA licence and migratory bird stamp too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    22lr is not a legal weapon for ducks read the regs closer so you don’t get yourself in trouble

ducks(waterfowl) For firearms only shotguns with non toxic shot( steel for example)

if you only have a shotgun you are bunnies and grouse only. Not the greatest hunting for these in the lower mainland but you could use it as an excuse to explore possible blacktail deer locations for the future

I just caught my own typing mistake that could have caused a mix up lol

Either way read the regs closely before heading out don’t want a good time to go wrong with a CO

There are a couple of public access places to hunt ducks in the lower mainland (ie Boundary Bay,Pitt Marsh etc)
    Also Roberts Bank (aka Brunswick Pt) in Ladner. It is very accessible to reach but do us a favour and don't skybust (shooting well beyond 50y - effective range. If you are new shooter shoot well below that). Remember some of these places absolutely require waders and can be treacherous so if you are bringing the wife and neither of you have experience tromping the swamp or marshy areas you may want to skip until you have some more prep. If low tide you should be able to navigate with just muck boots.

My first hunts were more along the line of .22 or shotgun potting grouse. I got my first in Squamish River Valley up to Elaho. Careful driving out there as you don't want to get stuck. Need some clearance with your vehicle or be conservative, park and then start hiking along the trails. At the very least you get a nice hike and you see the lay of the land.

I like that there are people here not as cynical as me and helping him out. A dude with a name like czkdzxwp with one post made at 1:30am mentioning an illegal method of hunting that anyone who has seen an open core book would know is wrong.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation but Coquitlam is huge, where can I find those forest service roads? Sorry for being so newbi to ask

Thanks for the reply and advice<3 I have just bought a waterfowl shotgun

I have read many forums regarding newbis like myself doing skybusting, will try to avoid that.
    I'll also check out Squamish River Valley for luck and the view