Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small game hunting using a regular car

Small game hunting using a regular car

I am new to hunting and am not quite ready yet to buy a dedicated hunting vehicle. I just have a regular 4 door Nissan Altima with snow tires.

I've gone small game road hunting on FSRs before with my friend in his truck, but I was wondering if it's generally possible to do this with my own car, before it starts snowing? I am afraid of getting stuck.

I would like to be able to go for day trips or weekend trips for small game out of Vancouver looking for grouse and rabbits. Any suggestions or advice?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Small game hunting using a regular car

When I first started I hunted out of my 89' civic. Took a few deer and many grouse and rabbits. All in the Kamloops area, 3 to 4 hours out of van. The roads there don't have the same big crush rock like the coastal roads, are generally flatter and seem to have more grouse around. It was always a challenge stuffing a big mulie in the trunk or back seat of the car but it worked. Was always fun to see the look on the butchers face when I pulled out my game as well for butchering...

When I first started hunting, all I had was a 2002 Chevy Cavalier. My only concern was bottoming out. I never got stuck. I used to bring tarps and plastic wrap. I could lay down my back seat and shoot a bear or deer if I wanted to as well. Just make sure most of the blood has stopped leaking everywhere if you choose this option.

Use what you have and take extra care in your travels.

Many of the roads either side of the Coq Hope to Kamloops have 2 wheel drive accessibility. Just don't take risks and walk when you feel the need.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Heck I took a 283 4spd, 1964 Sport Deluxe Beaumont hunting to Princeton, I only wish I had a picture of it with a four pt in the trunk !

Drive to where its safe and then use you all wheel drive boots !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I used to hunt for years in an old Volvo station wagon, even got a moose loaded into it. I think I was hunting more successfully than now in a big truck. I think animals are smart and make the connection truck=hunter, family-car=harmless. So don't get stuck and enjoy!
    The 375 Ruger was improved the day it was necked down to 9.3 mm

Even lots of lml roads can be accessed via car. Just be mindful in the mainland of rocks after big rains.

Might force you into your feet sooner than in a truck and put you into game.

The most hare I've seen on one region 2 road was only 2km in

If you have a chance. You can use old road signs as a cheap skid plate

Been there, done that when I started hunting.

Don't push it, if it looks sketchy stop, know how to drive in reverse down a road without hitting the ditch.

I would take a second spare tire if I was using a car for hunting. I've seen several cars parked fairly low down on FSRs. Just respect your vehicle and don't go where it gets too dicey for a car. I've had a couple miserable experiences with greasy mud on roads this year like I've never encountered before. I had fairly new Cooper AT3 and they are honestly a sub par LT 4x4 tire.

Regardless, there is often very good game to be found where the trucks never bother stopping.