Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ?Utility Trailer for Weekend Trips?

Re: ?Utility Trailer for Weekend Trips?

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    I have a 4x6 and my dad has an enclosed u-haul style. Both are great to have but if I had to choose between the two, the enclosed one is way better. Serves as out of the elements storage while at home, and we've even slept in it during a snow storm where we didn't have time to set up our camp.
    Good point. Maybe I can find one low enough to go in my garage.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I've used one for years. 4'1' x 8'1", that's important if you ever want to carry plywood. The poor thing has had a couple of rebuilds, it's a 1958 ex Kingsway Trailer Rentals . U-built. When he closed down in '78 I bought one. Get a sturdy one , they take a sh** kicking . Your home depot ones break easily, they break in suburban use in fact. Weldors roar with laughter when they see them. You should pack spare wheel bearings and axel caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    I've used one for years. 4'1' x 8'1", that's important if you ever want to carry plywood. The poor thing has had a couple of rebuilds, it's a 1958 ex Kingsway Trailer Rentals . U-built. When he closed down in '78 I bought one. Get a sturdy one , they take a sh** kicking . Your home depot ones break easily, they break in suburban use in fact. Weldors roar with laughter when they see them. You should pack spare wheel bearings and axel caps.
    Thanks for this solid information. I looked at one that was very heavy duty, but I was having second thoughts because it was registered as a ubuilt and I wrongly assumed that a name brand trailer might be better. I saw some at Rona that looked damn near disposable. Rusting while sitting in their lot waiting to be sold. Extra bearings are a good tip too, as they seem to be the most common issue with trailers on trips.

Just don't pick an axle rating based on the load you expect to carry, think about backroad abuse.
    Also, tandem axles soak up a lot more shock and bounce than a single.

Sounds like your parking/storage space may be your limiting factor though.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I've been doing this for a few years now with an enclosed trailer. ..it's the only way to go. I have a deep freezer in the front, all my gear including double tree stand and my side by side in it.
    Side by side gets put in every night when hunting and locked up...a super investment and tool for hunting!

I live up in Stewart and drive Hwy 37N every day in my ore truck. I see a ridiculous amount of Toyota 4Runners and Jeep Rubicons pulling a 4x-6-8ish utility trailers rigged out with fuel cans,coolers, spare tires and........a rooftop tent. I stopped at Bell 2 to get coffee and had a few of these 4 wheelers show me their rigs. It was pretty awesome and dialled in. These guys take these things EVERYWHERE and most of them said that they leave it fully loaded up and ready to go at a moments notice. Two interesting features I thought were cool: pintle hitches and identical tires on the trailer as the pulling rig. Googling 4WD trailers will easily soak up a couple of hours. I think this is the route I'm going to go.

4x8 is a good size. Go torsion axle if you can, much smoother on a single axle. The bigger the tires the better on a single axle, and if you take a small compressor you can air down on backroads to absorb some shock & air up again for the highway.

Detachable roof racks for a canoe or tin boat if you have one.

The compact trailer idea is great, options are endless.

I've heard the common torsion axels hammer out. The Aussie military trailers , which are merely an adaption of their off road trailers, use independent torsion bar suspensions. But that's not the torsion suspension we have.After replacing springs a couple of times on our tent trailer, springs snap,I feel shock absorbers are a necessity for gravel roads. Add wet bolts too.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Just don't pick an axle rating based on the load you expect to carry, think about backroad abuse.
    Also, tandem axles soak up a lot more shock and bounce than a single.

Sounds like your parking/storage space may be your limiting factor though.
    You make a good point re: getting a heavier duty axle to handle the backroads. Some of the roads I drive are super bumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I've been doing this for a few years now with an enclosed trailer. ..it's the only way to go. I have a deep freezer in the front, all my gear including double tree stand and my side by side in it.
    Side by side gets put in every night when hunting and locked up...a super investment and tool for hunting!
    I started bringing a small freezer too- powered off an inverter while driving. However, the bumps seem to have broken it. It worked well for years, but then crapped out after two trips.