Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ?Utility Trailer for Weekend Trips?

Re: ?Utility Trailer for Weekend Trips?

Quote Originally Posted by the_longwalker View Post
    I live up in Stewart and drive Hwy 37N every day in my ore truck. I see a ridiculous amount of Toyota 4Runners and Jeep Rubicons pulling a 4x-6-8ish utility trailers rigged out with fuel cans,coolers, spare tires and........a rooftop tent. I stopped at Bell 2 to get coffee and had a few of these 4 wheelers show me their rigs. It was pretty awesome and dialled in. These guys take these things EVERYWHERE and most of them said that they leave it fully loaded up and ready to go at a moments notice. Two interesting features I thought were cool: pintle hitches and identical tires on the trailer as the pulling rig. Googling 4WD trailers will easily soak up a couple of hours. I think this is the route I'm going to go.
    Those trailers are really cool. They’re actually part of the reason I want to get a trailer. Mine will be a regular utility trailer, but I’ll Jazz it up with fuel containers, tongue box, etc. The idea of having it loaded and ready to go is cool.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by BromBones View Post
    4x8 is a good size. Go torsion axle if you can, much smoother on a single axle. The bigger the tires the better on a single axle, and if you take a small compressor you can air down on backroads to absorb some shock & air up again for the highway.

Detachable roof racks for a canoe or tin boat if you have one.

The compact trailer idea is great, options are endless.
    Thanks, I’ve read the torsion axles work well at dampening the bumps. Bigger tires as well would help. We recently got bigger tires on our truck and it makes a big difference.

Installed a wood stove in mine
    Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    I've heard the common torsion axels hammer out. The Aussie military trailers , which are merely an adaption of their off road trailers, use independent torsion bar suspensions. But that's not the torsion suspension we have.After replacing springs a couple of times on our tent trailer, springs snap,I feel shock absorbers are a necessity for gravel roads. Add wet bolts too.
    The one thing with torsion axles I’m concerned about is my inability to repair if damaged while on a trip. With regular axles I think I’d have a better chance of getting parts and doing the install while away from home.

I'm not a fan of roof top tents, we've used them in Africa and Australia. They are designed to keep the bugs and snakes out, two problems we don't have. Mossy bites don't kill. They are not designed for rain and damp, instead hot and dry. They are either made or designed in OZ.

Wet Bolts are the bolts used in the spring eyes. Instead of the plastic bushing they use a brass bushing and the bolts have grease zerks in them. 1930s technology. Or you can do as I do for the utility trailer , replace the plastic bushings when you grease the bearings, by which time they need it.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 09-05-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    The one thing with torsion axles I’m concerned about is my inability to repair if damaged while on a trip. With regular axles I think I’d have a better chance of getting parts and doing the install while away from home.
    Not much to go wrong with torsion axles compared to spring axles. I've had mine for a great deal of time and never had an issue with repairs. I did have issues with spring axles, but never torsion.
    The ride quality of a torsion axle is worth the extra cost IMO.

Get one also with a good trailer lighting kit or install one ... nothing worse than having no lights and let alone getting pulled over or going thru a game check with DOT also checking things out... if they ain稚 working .. you won稚 be moving it..

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Get one also with a good trailer lighting kit or install one ... nothing worse than having no lights and let alone getting pulled over or going thru a game check with DOT also checking things out... if they ain’t working .. you won’t be moving it..
    another great point above....
    also consider LED to conserve power maybe

I have a 1992 wellscargo 18 ft. walk in cooler extra high plus raised torsion axles ,wood stove and full size propane fridge . And it will be finding a new home soon as no more big hunts . FJ and offroad trailer and trials bike and no early season hunts