Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ?Utility Trailer for Weekend Trips?

?Utility Trailer for Weekend Trips?

I知 thinking of getting a utility trailer to store all my hunting/camping gear. My plan is to store it in my garage so I can hook it up and take off hunting on weekends. I知 hoping it値l save loading/unloading time and keep things organized.

Is anyone doing this? I知 wondering if the trailer might be more trouble than its worth going down logging roads to where we値l camp.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: ?Utility Trailer for Weekend Trips?

Not sure why it would be any trouble. Depending on your tow rig it should go where you want. Unhook to go exploring, then it stays parked in camp til ready to leave.
    Have used a truck box trailer/canopy combo for years before the advent of enclosed cargo trailers
    Keep the size relevant, don't go too big, should be good
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Trailers tend to make the trip a bit longer on rougher gravel roads.
    There is a new trend starting with folks investing in the U-Haul closed
    style of trailers.
    Out of sight/out of mind and weather proof.
    Get a tire boot and hitch lock to help deter thugs.

If you have a general idea where you are going and it won't slow you down to much I like using a trailer as it is relatively easy to hook up and go, and unhook as required. Not so great for exploring if you don't know where you are going but still doable with a small trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Not sure why it would be any trouble. Depending on your tow rig it should go where you want. Unhook to go exploring, then it stays parked in camp til ready to leave.
    Have used a truck box trailer/canopy combo for years before the advent of enclosed cargo trailers
    Keep the size relevant, don't go too big, should be good
    Thanks Boxhitch, I guess I was worried about slower pace on bumpy roads but it sounds like it has worked well for you. I really want to buy one, but figured I’d ask to see if there were issues I hadn’t considered. Basically hoping for folks to tell me to get one, Lol. Something small, maybe 4x6.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunzuki View Post
    Trailers tend to make the trip a bit longer on rougher gravel roads.
    There is a new trend starting with folks investing in the U-Haul closed
    style of trailers.
    Out of sight/out of mind and weather proof.
    Get a tire boot and hitch lock to help deter thugs.
    Thanks Sunzuki, enclosed definitely has its advantages. Although car break-ins where I live can sometimes be an issue so it might be nice to store it in my garage. Something low might be good. I’d definitely have to get a boot- and maybe a sign informing potential thieves of a trailcam directed at the road into our camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    If you have a general idea where you are going and it won't slow you down to much I like using a trailer as it is relatively easy to hook up and go, and unhook as required. Not so great for exploring if you don't know where you are going but still doable with a small trailer.
    Thanks MDC2, that’s definitely something to consider. I’d have to commit to a camp and they head out from there. I bought a wall tent, so hoping to transition back to camping from motels.

If you do go the utility trailer route ... go 4x8 ... 15” wheels and better off with a wood floor ... you can trick it out real good ... spare fuel container holders ... large cooler on the tonque...spare tire mounted on the tailgate.. endless setups ... and everyone will want to borrow it too ... : )

I have a 4x6 and my dad has an enclosed u-haul style. Both are great to have but if I had to choose between the two, the enclosed one is way better. Serves as out of the elements storage while at home, and we've even slept in it during a snow storm where we didn't have time to set up our camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    If you do go the utility trailer route ... go 4x8 ... 15” wheels and better off with a wood floor ... you can trick it out real good ... spare fuel container holders ... large cooler on the tonque...spare tire mounted on the tailgate.. endless setups ... and everyone will want to borrow it too ... : )
    Thanks for the tips. I mapped out 4x6 on the floor and it does seem kind of small. 15” wheels are probably easier on the bearings than 12”.