Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost species licence

Lost species licence

So truck is all packed up and all my gear ready for bow season opener in the morning. Was heading out for a blacktail. Big problem though, getting the last of my things together i can not find my dang blacktail tag. I've searched everywhere. My question is can i still hunt without the tag? i have printed off my receipt showing the purchase of the tag (species licence) from the fish and wildlife website. I'm in Squamish and Service BC won't be open this weekend and Brackendale store don't sell tags anymore. I could always drive to the city tomorrow morning and go buy another tag but i was really hoping to get out for first light in the morning. I'm assuming just having the receipt isn't good enough (it shows the tag number on it) even if i was successful and recorded the date of the kill on the receipt. Anybody had a similar experience?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lost species licence

No legally you can not. You must cut physical notches into your tag before dressing your kill.

Hopefully you have the ability to get one from a vendor in the AM.

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure that was the case. Looks like i am delaying my plans by a day. Just discovered i've lost my skinning knife aswell! I'm an idiot for leaving it so last minute to get my stuff together.

Im in the same canoe and didnt see your thread until making one. I have extra tags , Im just not sure if I can go hunting without my missing other bear tag

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Im in the same canoe and didnt see your thread until making one. I have extra tags , Im just not sure if I can go hunting without my missing other bear tag
    Dont think so. Pretty clear in the regs you must have all tags with you

is there any option other than service bc, which is closed for the weekend to get the tag cancelled or another one issued?

I don't think you can get your lost one cancelled anywhere other than Service BC. I'm in Region 2 and we are allowed 2 Mule deer tags per season. I had only bought one (which i lost) so i went and bought another tag from a vendor this morning. I printed out my receipt for my lost tag from the fish and wildlife website and circled the tag number and wrote "lost" on it and made a note that i would be going to service BC on Tuesday to cancel it and signed it. Carried the receipt with the note on it and the new tag today. Not sure if that was the correct thing to do but that's what i did.

If the trend is to electronic licensing they should have the option to electronically self report harvest. Would negate the need to carry a wallet full of loose tags as well as being a useful source of harvest data. Probably counting on writing lots of tickets with the current system though

Quote Originally Posted by chilko View Post
    If the trend is to electronic licensing they should have the option to electronically self report harvest. Would negate the need to carry a wallet full of loose tags as well as being a useful source of harvest data. Probably counting on writing lots of tickets with the current system though
    That's a good idea in theory, but in practice you'd be in a lot of areas that won't have cell coverage. So canceling an electronic tag would be difficult.

As well, if a hunter had a cell that rund out of battery while out hunting, same issue, can't cancel electronic tag.

True , which is why i said they should have the option. I believe the harvest questionare should be replaced by electronic reporting too , but that is another story.