Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Left Eye Dominant; Right handed

Re: Left Eye Dominant; Right handed

I think people that are very ambidextrous might have the ability to shoot with either hand and eye, but if a person is say RH and right eye dominate the chances of being able to shoot with the other eye would be slim to none. Myself, I'm some what ambidextrous. I write LH, but play most sports RH, except tennis I don't have a back hand, I just switch hands but have to serve RH, 2 forehands. Hockey, Baseball, golf all RH, soccer I can kick with either foot but better with my right. Working with tools I'm equally bad with either hand. So I think that when dealing with young people when first starting to learn to shoot, first thing you have to figure out is what eye dominate they are. Just giving a kid a RH gun to learn on because they are RH may be setting the kid up for a really discouraging time, they might be opposite eye dominate. I know, when I was young and first learning to shoot .22 because I was LH just like my brother I was being taught to shoot LH, couldn't hit the broad side of barn door. then my brother says hey try it RH, what a revelation.

i am left eye dominant and right handed. Never knew until i was in my mid fifties and was playing around shooting clays. Always closed my left eye when shooting rifles.

There is a way to get tested, but alot of "right handed" people are actually left handed, or left side dominant. One reason is that schools back in the day frowned on kids using their left hand for writing, so they forced them to use their right hand. So as a result, many products and such are designed mostly for right handed people. I know of a few people who got tested and found out they were actually left dom, so they made the switch. Turns out the brain can process info better when you do, they weren't as dumb as they thought afterall!!

I'm right handed, left eye. I shoot hockey stick left. Golf/baseball right. Rifle right handed, closing left eye. I went handgun shooting last year and tried every hand/eye combo, easiest was left hand grip, left eye aim.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Did pretty good shooting left. Thanks for all the input.

http://youtu.be/OtfuH4H7LHk