Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Left Eye Dominant; Right handed

Re: Left Eye Dominant; Right handed

I'm left eyed and right handed. I also shoot left. With left hand bolt actions. My wife's the same.

Lefty rifles arnt hard to find. It makes it easy and eliminates a lot of the junk. Maybe not be easy to walk into your local gun shop but anything can be ordered or found online.

Left eye dominate but ive been shooting right handed. Left handed rifles are harder to find and more expensive. It can be overcome but do whats natural. Oddly enougj i find i automatically shoulder my rifle on the left side, far more comfortable.

I am right handed - left eye dominant. I shoot left handed, always have. I guess that's just what felt nutural when I was a kid running around with my pellet gun. Holding a rifle right handed feels so completely wrong, I have no interest try to change. There are plenty of left handed rifles, and really nice ones at that. I can easily operate a right handed bolt gun, as that's what I always did as a kid. Left handed bolts feel better, but not much in it. I shoot a lever gun now. No problem. If your kid feels natural shooting left, let him shoot left. People always talk about how important it is to make sure your rifle and scope are in a "natural" position. What makes left or right handed any different?

I shoot bows lefty and shoot rifles right, “thanks to work” left eye is more accurate.

I shoot left handed. I can't remember which way I started shooting, I think it was right handed? Though I don't practice shooting right handed, if needed I can still do it and fairly consistently. Growing up I always shot right handed rifles and you'd be surprised how fast you can cycle a right hand bolt with your left hand. Yes it's a little bit of a learning curve but it's possible. Now that I'm older i mostly hunt with 2 rifles, A Lh Remington 300rum and a kimber 270wsm. Kimber doesn't make any Lh rifles so I'm constantly going back and forth and don't have any issues.

If your son is displaying Lh shooting traits, let him shoot left handed.

I'm left eye dominant and shoot left despite being right handed. Was easy to learn and a non-issue since that's what felt natural from an aiming perspective.

I've helped thousands of people take their first shots, and I'll tell you for sure it's easier to train your hands than your eye.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Dog View Post
    So watching my 6 year old playing with plastic dart guns over the last few years I noticed that he always lifted the scope to his left eye while being right handed. Ended up getting his eyes tested in school and sure enough he is left eye dominant. While this plays out nicely for baseball and golf it isn't ideal for shooting. Is this something that can be overcome, or should he be learning to shoot left handed?
    You can't change it, it's how their brain works.

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    I'm left eye dominant and shoot left despite being right handed. Was easy to learn and a non-issue since that's what felt natural from an aiming perspective.
    Same but opposite for me, I'm left handed but shoot right, right eye dominate. You don't shoot LH or RH you shoot left eye dominate or right eye dominate. It's an easy thing to figure out, say you point your right hand or left hand it doesn't matter, at an object, then cover one eye, left or right it doesn't mater. If when you cover one of your eye's the object that you are pointing at is still being pointed at, the eye that you are looking at the object with is the eye dominate you are. If the object seems to have moved that is the eye that you aren't dominate with.

Both my son and I are left eye dominant but shoot right handed. Going to get him a left hand .243 this year however as he’s having difficult shooting a right hand gun. We are both left handed for hockey, I am right or left for golf depends on my day. I also shoot my camera with both right and left eye. It all depends on the day. You just learn to adapt with it all. I would just let him do what he’s comfortable with.