Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left Eye Dominant; Right handed

Left Eye Dominant; Right handed

So watching my 6 year old playing with plastic dart guns over the last few years I noticed that he always lifted the scope to his left eye while being right handed. Ended up getting his eyes tested in school and sure enough he is left eye dominant. While this plays out nicely for baseball and golf it isn't ideal for shooting. Is this something that can be overcome, or should he be learning to shoot left handed?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Left Eye Dominant; Right handed

From a young age ? I'd definitely start him on left handed... He won't know any different.

I started shooting in my mid twenties and just forced myself to shoot right handed, low and behold after I put the time into learning it turns out I'm left eye dominant right handed, holding a gun up to my left shoulder now feels more awkward than my first date so I've had to turn to sub par solutions like closing my left eye when behind the scope, or running lever action with red dot so I can shoot both eyes open.

Learn to shoot left hand. My youngest son (9) is left eye dominant (right handed), and it took a little to figure it out.

Now that we have, he loves shooting. Forcing right eye dominance, may lead to frustration and non-enjoyment of shooting. We started down this path and quickly switched back to his natural eye dominance.

Thanks for the input gents.

My friends son was the same. Noticed it when he first started shooting a bow. He just wore a patch over his left eye for a while and that seemed to solve the issue.

I had that problem when I was young. Wore a pirate patch over my left eye and eventually got used to shooting with my right eye. I'm sure glad I did that instead of trying to shoot left handed for the rest of my life.

I'm left eye dom, rt handed.
    It took getting used to when I was young, now I don't notice it at all.

I golf rt, and shoot a puck left. Go figure

Just curious, why not have him practice looking through the scope with his right eye? Yes, I did read left eye dominant and I did see the other posts. I remember my parents trying to force me to write with my right hand. That was miserable and I still write with my left but I shoot, golf, play hockey and throw right handed. I use tools with either hand out of convenience and some fishing I hold with the right and other types I hold with the left. I also prefer to drink my beer with my left. Everyone finds their preference and some just need a little help being convinced.

Ask the kid to decide what feel best for him and go with that. What does he do when he brings the rifle up with his eyes closed?

Hopefully you can convince him to shoot same hand as you. Hand-me-downs become more practical whenever "you" need a new rifle excuse.
    Last edited by Rieber; 08-31-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added comment

Quote Originally Posted by digger dogger View Post
    I'm left eye dom, rt handed.
    It took getting used to when I was young, now I don't notice it at all.

I golf rt, and shoot a puck left. Go figure
    Same as you but i kick left. Anyway i have no problem shooting .
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

I learned to shoot long before I knew eye dominance was a thing. If it were my son, I'd see how he handles the gun and can work the bolt mechanically. If he's more fluid right over left do what you can to get him shooting right handed, if left wins out. Start shopping for hard to find rifles LOL
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!