Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does youth hunter need to carry Picture ID

Does youth hunter need to carry Picture ID

I am about to dig into the regs and might find the answer there but I have a question. Does a youth hunter need to carry photo ID in addition to his FWID and his tags? I am asking because the only photo ID I have for my 13 year old son if his passport and I really don't love the idea of carrying it while hunting.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Does youth hunter need to carry Picture ID

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post
    I am about to dig into the regs and might find the answer there but I have a question. Does a youth hunter need to carry photo ID in addition to his FWID and his tags? I am asking because the only photo ID I have for my 13 year old son if his passport and I really don't love the idea of carrying it while hunting.
    I asked that question at the Access Center when I was in getting mine and my son's license and tags. The woman I was dealing with said yes I guess you will have to carry his birth certificate. I said that was ridiculous and then she said well maybe I'm wrong, I guess you will have to ask a CO directly. I then happened to go to Cabelas to pick up a few things right after and there was a CO in the store so I was able to ask him . Unfortunately he actually wasn't really sure, and basically said it's a new system and that he personally doesn't see why he would need to see picture ID for a youth, but he can't speak for other officers. So there you go, clear as mud !

Edit: actually it WAS a passport that I asked about because a birth certificate doesn't have a picture. That's why I told her it was ridiculous, because not all youths would necessarily have a passport and that's why the CO I talked to said he personally wouldn't require to see either of those, but again he said it looks like that's how it suppossed to work, and can't speak for other officers. So still clear as mud.
    Last edited by Islander30; 08-31-2018 at 09:39 AM.

I looked through the regs and couldn't find the specifics for youth. I would think though that for a youth under 16 a school ID would work. It has their photo on it and I know it can be used in other situations. I'd probably also have their bc services card as well as that is government ID.

We got stopped last year on the Charlottes and my daughter had no ID and we were completly fine.
    "Fight back, no battles have ever been won by a coward"

I'm sure even just a photo copy of a passport would suffice in the highly unlikely case a CO asks for a kids ID.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBrown View Post
    We got stopped last year on the Charlottes and my daughter had no ID and we were completly fine.
    I got stopped last year and the CO reamed us out for not having picture ID for my daughter. They did NOT accept her school ID with pic. But only gave us a warning. This is because my youths have their own licence and NOT a youth Licence. Dont forget you must also sign an Acknowledgement of Responsibility as well

Take your kid to the Govt agent office and get them a BC ID card with picture.

Ours did not come in on time so I am forced to put their passports in a Zip lock bag to make sure it doesnt get soaked and ruined.

Ya it's something that needs to be made clear because my son has his own license as well and at no point did I ever have to produce photo ID for him to get his FWID number or to produce photo ID to buy his license and tags. As well the CO I talked to said he doesn't feel its necessary to see photo I'd for a youth. But he did say that I guess if for some reason he didn't believe my son was my son or something like that it would be good to have some sort of picture ID for him. I was also stopped by another CO the year before and was never asked for ID for my son by that CO either....but this was prior to the woman at the Access Centre saying she thought I needed to have photo ID for my son. I guess I'll probably bring or photocopy of his passport to avoid any hassle, but I really don't think the law is clear as of yet.

It says right in the regs you must produce your fwid and photo I'd to buy a licence now. Which I had to for me and my kids. Except for my son which I did online. And it allows me to use my login to buy a license for a youth

But I agree. I think some COs may not be on the same page and some vendors are probably still confused on the changes

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    It says right in the regs you must produce your fwid and photo I'd to buy a licence now. Which I had to for me and my kids. Except for my son which I did online. And it allows me to use my login to buy a license for a youth
    Ya come think of it that's how the subject came up with the woman at the Access Centre, she sold me his license but then said something like " I think technically I'm suppossed to see a picture ID for your son as well"....she was confused as well....but if it's in the regs then you must be right. I better get on BC ID for him.