Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: McNab Creek Elk Hunt

Re: McNab Creek Elk Hunt

If there is quad trails.... a mountain bike + kid trailer (aka meat hauler hahaha) might help you get in there quicker then hiking. And way cheaper then getting a quad over.

Ill find a way to get quads in.

There is a good road system there, just no way that I've ever found to link up to that system without a barge. Buddy had the draw a couple years ago, we camped in the abandoned shop very close to the dock, as did two other parties that had the draw. We all went different directions in the morning but shared a fire a few nights.

We hired a guy to haul our quad from Porteau to McNabb. Regular water taxi type service out of Gibsons IIRC. I can't recall the cost but I do recall I couldn't fit my Rhino onto his boat so we had my buddy's quad and my dirt bike. 300 2stroke isn't exactly stealthy but we saw plenty of elk.

You'll find cell service in a few places should you need to call for early or late extraction.

Have fun, that is a great draw.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Well, getting a few things organised. Found a reasonable way in. Water taxi two quads in plus gear, 400 in, 400 out. Thats doable.. I will also be bringing my boat in, so we have a way out when we want, I can pack some gear too. Working on tent. Have a pole tent frame that will get me a tent 10' x 18'. I will have to use tarps for floor, walls, and roof. I have a propane cat heater that im thinking about bringing, but im told that they create lots of humidity... so i still might have to weld up a quick and dirty wood stove. will have to make some sort of fire ******ent spot in wall or roof tarp for stove pipe. This might be the way to go.....

Sub’d - agree interesting thread - looking forward to your stories - good luck!!

I had this draw a few years ago it was an awesome hunt. The weather over there can be very wet so be prepared. We rented a cabin from a member on here his name is nuadixion I would pm him for info. We took the water taxi with two quads from horseshoe bay as this was the cheapest option. You can offload your quads at the dock near Michaels cabin if you rent it, if not you have to offload at the other side of the zone. There is a good road system throughout and a quad is ideal once you are over there. We were really glad we rented the cabin as we had a couple days of pounding rain, would of been miserable in a tent. Good luck its a great hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidp View Post
    Well, getting a few things organised. Found a reasonable way in. Water taxi two quads in plus gear, 400 in, 400 out. Thats doable.. I will also be bringing my boat in, so we have a way out when we want, I can pack some gear too. Working on tent. Have a pole tent frame that will get me a tent 10' x 18'. I will have to use tarps for floor, walls, and roof. I have a propane cat heater that im thinking about bringing, but im told that they create lots of humidity... so i still might have to weld up a quick and dirty wood stove. will have to make some sort of fire ******ent spot in wall or roof tarp for stove pipe. This might be the way to go.....
    I'd go with a wood stove for sure. Dry wood isn't easy to come by but the heat is nice and dry. If I recall I was there in the first week of Oct and it was bone chilling cold and damp.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I boated over and used the logging dock on a weekend, and hiked the south side of the valley. I think it was October last year. No sign of deer or elk - just bear. The roads seemed in great condition though, so you should be able to cover a lot of ground on the quads. Once you get up high you can glass across the valley, and should be able to find them quickly.

Not to hijack - but has anyone seen deer in the McNab valley system?

Quote Originally Posted by Sangstercraft View Post
    I boated over and used the logging dock on a weekend, and hiked the south side of the valley. I think it was October last year. No sign of deer or elk - just bear. The roads seemed in great condition though, so you should be able to cover a lot of ground on the quads. Once you get up high you can glass across the valley, and should be able to find them quickly.

Not to hijack - but has anyone seen deer in the McNab valley system?
    when I was there last (5 years ago), it snowed/rained at our level for 2 days and there were quite a few BT that came down after....