Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: McNab Creek Elk Hunt

Re: McNab Creek Elk Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Sangstercraft View Post
    Brambo - where do you see that the first 2.5km of road is private? Assuming you're talking about the road from the McNab loggers dock (south side of the estuary) and up. I checked BC Assessment and it appears to be a tree farm license - which I believe is crown land available for us to use.
    It’s all posted on the dock, ramp, and road. Burnco owns it and are very stricked. They have a guy from sechelt that checks on it daily I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sangstercraft View Post
    I checked out the McNab creek dock on the weekend. Burnco (the company doing the gravel pit next to the creek - see ya salmon!) has installed no trespassing / no hunting / no docking signs. Sucks for those of us who used to use that area responsibly.

The ramp is right in front of a no-trespassing sign as well, so I'm not sure where you're going to unload the quads. Maybe the private dock on the north side of the delta has a ramp you can use.
    Ive been talking with a guy that has a cabin at McNab. He said the dock on the SW side does have the No Trsspassing up, but some people have been using it as long as you ask permission.
    If i rent a cabin, We can use the other dock, on the NE side and tie up our boat.

Either way, if we were just wanting to off load quads, the easiest way is to drive up onto the beach, probly at the cabin side, where the road ends at the water and unload there. Its "Forshore" and its not privately owned.

Usually just asking permission goes a long way.

Still waiting on confirmation for cabin rental, Pretty sure its a go, but have plan B . Picked up two older wall tents from a nieghbour for $100. One is newer (30 years), GREAT shape, small, 8x10. The other one is probly older then I. Its 10 x 10, real heavy dark brown waxed canvas. Its also in GREAT shape except for the fly is torn. It is a Center peak style, like a carnival tent, has wire fold up frames for vents/windows. Will take some pics and post once i get them set up.. A few poles missing from both, but I figure that they will work.. One for sleeping, one for cooking and dry.. CHEERS!!

It's going to be such a great trip - I'm envious! If you get a chance to post some pics, I'd love to see how it turns out.

PS checkout the TopoMaps+ app for ipad or iphone. I set it for 'track' when I leave camp inthe morning and it records a trail as I hike/drive. Helps when you have to get back at night in the dark.

Update...
    Cabin booked, Water taxi to get quads in, Booked, Pre-hunting maintenance on quad, new bat, new starter, re-covered seat, oil and filter, spark plug, diff oil topped off, Things still to do, Rifle sight check, boat prep, oh and apparently the crabbing and prawning is pretty good right now near McNab. putting supply list together that my partner and myself will go over.
    Starting to get PUMPED!!

Good Luck !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Good Luck !
    Arctic Lake
    Thank You!!

Awesome ... cant wait to hear the story when you get back.... Best of luck to you guys.

Crabbing can be good all the way across the mcnab delta. 25-40 ft of water. Prawns can be had as shallow as 75 ft. Look for under water benches. There can be a nice 50x100 ft bench at 150ft deep but if you miss it the next one might be @300ft so watch your rope. If you want to see what I am talking about just look up at the shoreline and beyond. As for the elk... I’m no help there

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidp View Post
    Ive been talking with a guy that has a cabin at McNab. He said the dock on the SW side does have the No Trsspassing up, but some people have been using it as long as you ask permission.
    If i rent a cabin, We can use the other dock, on the NE side and tie up our boat.

Either way, if we were just wanting to off load quads, the easiest way is to drive up onto the beach, probly at the cabin side, where the road ends at the water and unload there. Its "Forshore" and its not privately owned.

Usually just asking permission goes a long way.

Still waiting on confirmation for cabin rental, Pretty sure its a go, but have plan B . Picked up two older wall tents from a nieghbour for $100. One is newer (30 years), GREAT shape, small, 8x10. The other one is probly older then I. Its 10 x 10, real heavy dark brown waxed canvas. Its also in GREAT shape except for the fly is torn. It is a Center peak style, like a carnival tent, has wire fold up frames for vents/windows. Will take some pics and post once i get them set up.. A few poles missing from both, but I figure that they will work.. One for sleeping, one for cooking and dry.. CHEERS!!
    I'm not sure where you're thinking you'll be able to beach-land a quad anywhere on McNab, and I would really strongly advise against doing it unless you've found a specific good spot already. It's tough terrain with big impassible channels along the beach and thick forest between the beach and the road. I spend a fair amount of time over there and I would recommend that you save yourself the trouble and just find a way to unload at the Burnco dock. Can't remember how wide the cabin ramp is but I remember it as being pretty damn narrow. All I know for certain is that unless you've found a specific spot on the beach that you know is passible by quad, you should just get onto the dock. Could be a frustrating start to the trip otherwise.

And I've had some run ins with the Burnco folks over the last couple years. Definitely more touchy with the gravel pit controversy. It would be worth it to try and get some permissions I think.

Good luck. There are some big bulls over there. That's a draw I'd love to win.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanonthevedder View Post
    Crabbing can be good all the way across the mcnab delta. 25-40 ft of water. Prawns can be had as shallow as 75 ft. Look for under water benches. There can be a nice 50x100 ft bench at 150ft deep but if you miss it the next one might be @300ft so watch your rope. If you want to see what I am talking about just look up at the shoreline and beyond. As for the elk... I’m no help there
    I have looked at the sonar charts at McNab and they drop off quite quick. I will watch the ropes, And as far as the crabbing, I just filleted 10 sockey today for smoking and the backbones will make great crab bait. Thanks for the heads up