Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McNab Creek Elk Hunt

McNab Creek Elk Hunt

Hi All, Im new to this site and am looking forward to spending some time on it. I landed a Rosie draw this fall at McNab Creek. Been putting in for the elk draws for about 15 years, usually at Zoonie, but I changed it up this year and got it.
    Ive never been to McNab, but I used to work at Howe Sound and know the Rainy River a bit. Ive been trying to find out if there is a quad trail that will get me to McNab from the Rainy, Anyone here know?
    I'm doubtful there is so ive also been doing a bit of research on getting to Mcnab by boat, Possibly bardging a couple quads in with trailers and setting up camp up the river a ways, or perhaps trying to rent a cabin there.
    Im planning a scouting trip in a couple weeks so i can make some concrete plans.
    If anyone has some info or contacts that might help me out, it would be very appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: McNab Creek Elk Hunt

I've unfortunately got no info or advice for this area...

But I'm trying to learn more, as I might have hunting opportunities there in the future. Good luck. Post a story after the hunt!

Hi All. I recieved a quote to have quads barged in to Mcnab and just about fell off my rocker. perhaps im just CHEAP,haha, but its a 7km barge trip and quote was 1K in, 1K out. Seems a bit high and really cuts into my budget. Im looking at a couple things. Perhaps accessing MU 2-5 zone F from Sechelt inlet, Sechelt Creek, and perhaps looking for a old alluminum skiff to rent or borrow, that i could tow with my boat. A skiff big enough to hold one quad with trailer, and make two trips.. Im going to make a scouting trip there in a couple weeks, and try to figure something out.
    Also, is there any maps out there that define the ZONES withing the MU's?? Thanks all

Congrads on the tag. A friend of mine was successful in his cow tag last year he used his boat to get his quad over to mcnab as there isn’t a road from Port Mellon. You can drive up and over from sechelt creek side but that would also require a boat. Contact c-tow for a quote from gibsons dock or mercury from horseshoe bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastfisher View Post
    Congrads on the tag. A friend of mine was successful in his cow tag last year he used his boat to get his quad over to mcnab as there isn’t a road from Port Mellon. You can drive up and over from sechelt creek side but that would also require a boat. Contact c-tow for a quote from gibsons dock or mercury from horseshoe bay.
    Thank You. Ill check them out

I had the draw few years ago. We paid around 600 to barge in and out. Scott Benson he has an old barge he will push you over with. I think this is his number 604 886-1656 It looks sketchy and prob is lol. But it's one of the cheaper ways

My uncle got a nice bull out of there 8 or so years ago. He boated over and then just hiked and glassed. He's out scouting for open of rifle season right now but I'll try to get more info from him once he's back. If there's nothing more then best of luck on your hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by pinofire View Post
    I had the draw few years ago. We paid around 600 to barge in and out. Scott Benson he has an old barge he will push you over with. I think this is his number 604 886-1656 It looks sketchy and prob is lol. But it's one of the cheaper ways
    Hey thanks, Ill give him a call

Quote Originally Posted by Golddust View Post
    My uncle got a nice bull out of there 8 or so years ago. He boated over and then just hiked and glassed. He's out scouting for open of rifle season right now but I'll try to get more info from him once he's back. If there's nothing more then best of luck on your hunt!
    Thanks golddust...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluidp View Post
    Thanks golddust...
    Ya , hiking might be a option. My draw is from Oct 21 - nov 20. So perhaps in Nov if it snows up high, that might push them down closer to the ocean, and close to the river. Ive had luck many years ago hunting elk close to rivers, They like there water and usually stay fairly close to a creek or watering hole.