This is an issue all over Canada and the amount of misinformation is crazy. Yelling screaming and whining about it will not help nor will it change the LAWS. Here are a few points/facts that we need to understand.

1. First Nations are a Nation. That means they are not the same as the Canadian public. Canada is a nation and First Nation is a nation. They will always have different rules. Just like USA has different rules then us. This will always be TRUE. This will never change. We will never be one nation with all the same rules. Yelling that it is not fair will not change this. This means different laws and different rights for each group.

2. First Nations have the right to hunt/fish/use resources. Canadians do not have this right. It is not my right to use the resources. No court will uphold my right to hunt/fish because I don't have one. That means the government can change the law and thus change my privilege to hunt/fish. The government CANNOT take away the First Nation's right to hunt/fish/etc. (There is only one way they can, I'll explain later)

3. First Nations have first right to resources. If a resource is dwindling then Canadian privileges are first taken away before First Nation's are effected. This is law. The only way to take away the rights of the First Nation is if the species is at such a risk that there is no way to support any kind of harvest.

These things will not change. Government cannot change them. The courts will always hold up the rights that the First Nations have. Therefore the government will not waste there time creating laws that will just get thrown out in court.

It is within this framework that we must work. The above things will not change. So how do we move forward? What is the best approach for the wildlife? I think understanding the difficult (but real) situation we have here is important. Not everyone has the same rights. It is a reality that a different set of laws will apply to each group. First Nations will always have better access to hunting and fishing. We will lose opportunities and they will not. I hate that there is two groups but it is the reality of how this country was formed.