Re: First Nation Issues

Quote Originally Posted by silvertipp View Post
    Nobody is disputing the fact that they have different rules
    the problem lies with the abuse of those laws
    ie:the selling of fish is that a right I was unaware of
    care to elaborate never heard of such a thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    FN obviously have both FN commercial catch quotas, and standard commercial catch quotas. Therefore allowed to sell salmon by right. What, you think every Indian looking person selling fish, is doing so illegally?

You're ok with non- indigenous selling fish, but not FN doing the exact.same.thing? Why is that?
    I figured that would be your angle funny thing is there are many years there is no commercial openings
    and there is still plenty of fish forsale by First Nations this would make it illegal and an abuse of the system
    the reason they do do is simple
    nothing happens to them by our courts or there's
    Given the fact you were apparently unaware of an existing right to sell fish, i find it unlikely you know much about how the details of how that right is enforced or not. I will acknowledge that there are instances of illegal activity that go undetected/uncorrected from time to time, but that is probably true with all rules, with all people. I suggest you report the offenders to DFO the next time you identify an offence taking place. Also call the local band office. They all take it quite seriously. It's something they would probably find easier to take seriously if the majority of people understood that an indian selling fish isn't by itself illegal, like some seem to think based on some ill formed stereotype.

None of this is to say there are not legitimate problems. But perennially misunderstanding the problems is counter productive.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    Fearmongering again. Red herring.
    I am not fear mongering at all. Just pointing out that there are legitimate reasons for the existence of an organization like the UN. When everything in Canada is hunky-dory for most Canadians, It can be hard for them to understand it's importance. I wasn't saying my inferred scenario was likely, just that there is some possibility the status-quo will change , and with that change in the status quo, perspectives on the UN's utility will also change.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Theres probably some truth there jack, I understand security, I dont understand meddling with internal affairs of its member nations.
    The internal affairs of member nations, often break down into affairs that effect the rest of the world and therefore the security of other member nations. If a country elects an authoritarian aggressor, that is important for the rest of the world to at least contain. As an organization, it's also responsible for preventing genocides - which are decidedly, mostly internal affairs. Often caused by the imbalance of power between a majority and minority people within a nation. The majority of international law focuses on these things, because they are seen as universal to the human race.

Check out Venez way la -- the living compared to Canucksville? then we bow down our heads and respect our country!
    Jel -- Be proud to be a Canuck at all times! -- Never forget your a Canuck at heart! -- I wood die for Canada! So now I live in Canucksville til then!
    Last edited by Jelvis; 08-31-2018 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Karma

this is 2018....

being but hurt about the past is not the way to live your life...

the natives are pissed about the way they were treated? TOUGH SHIT, atleast your not jewish....

europe sumhow figured out how to get over that one

1 country, 1 set of rules for EVERYONE

its either that, or were going to be left with nothing....

although at this point, whitey started the slaughter.... now they're ending it

i'm metis... i want my free ticket to harvest too, my ancester got hung out to dry... litterally
    "Golf, what a waste of a perfectly good rifle range"

I'm the one sitting in the cut block glassing all the animals you spooked and didnt see because you dont get out of your truck

13yrs and counting in Canadian Oil & Gas...

Yes.....you were unaware
    Unless they have a licence to sell fish commercially, they are only supposed to fish for their and their families own sustenance, I was told this directly by a CO when I reported First Nations members selling salmon on First Nations land several years ago...

Given the fact you were apparently unaware of an existing right to sell fish, i find it unlikely you know much about how the details of how that right is enforced or not. I will acknowledge that there are instances of illegal activity that go undetected/uncorrected from time to time, but that is probably true with all rules, with all people. I suggest you report the offenders to DFO the next time you identify an offence taking place. Also call the local band office. They all take it quite seriously. It's something they would probably find easier to take seriously if the majority of people understood that an indian selling fish isn't by itself illegal, like some seem to think based on some ill formed stereotype.

None of this is to say there are not legitimate problems. But perennially misunderstanding the problems is counter productive.
    It is quit apparent that the you are the person that does not know what you are talking about
    The bands are quit aware of what is going on as it is there lawyers that represent these people
    it happens every year
    Fish being sold before there is a commercial opening
    and years that there is no opening
    There has been many tickets handed out and not one of these
    cases ever make it to court
    they Know it and take complete advantage of it
    This is common knowledge
    talk to any from the dfo
    Last edited by silvertipp; 08-31-2018 at 10:21 AM.

ya, like the guy just the other week down at the Musqeaum driving range, walking around with a bag loaded with salmon trying to sell to anyone and everyone in there trying to hit balls.
    Good thing was, everyone for once turned him down, but sucks to see it happening none the less.

Pemby_mess Guest

It is quit apparent that the you are the person that does not know what you are talking about
    The bands are quit aware of what is going on as it is there lawyers that represent these people
    it happens every year
    Fish being sold before there is a commercial opening
    and years that there is no opening
    There has been many tickets handed out and not one of these
    cases ever make it to court
    they Know it and take complete advantage of it
    This is common knowledge
    talk to any from the dfo
    No, you are reframing my argument in a way that it was never made. I never claimed that some Indians don't sell fish in contravention of the laws governing that activity, which is the straw man you're responding to above. My response was initially correcting your apparently mistaken understanding of the rights "indians" have to sell fish. You claimed you were unaware of an 'indian's right to sell fish'. I wanted to clarify that some commercial fisherman with a right to sell fish are also status indians, and that some bands have traditional commercial catch quotas, outside of commercial openings, thereby also giving them the legal "right' to sell fish under those circumstances.

So since you, deliberately or not, gave the impression that you were unaware of those two legal commercial conditions, i feel that it was was fair to assume you were also unaware that just because you've seen an indian selling fish, doesn't necessarily mean that they were doing so in contravention of the relevant laws. If you made an error in the communication of your true understanding that is fine, I just thought it was a good opportunity to correct a pervasive myth seemingly held by non-indigenous people wrt indians selling fish.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ya, like the guy just the other week down at the Musqeaum driving range, walking around with a bag loaded with salmon trying to sell to anyone and everyone in there trying to hit balls.
    Good thing was, everyone for once turned him down, but sucks to see it happening none the less.
    The Musqeum band is one with a fairly large traditional commercial quota. Did you ask to see the licence the fish were caught under? It seems kind of unfair to perpetuate the assumption the fish you saw being sold were in fact illegal, without proof to back up the allegation. I'm not saying your interpretation is necessarily inaccurate; just that it might be nice to develop the habit of asking questions prior to labelling someone a criminal simply because of their complexion and the neighbourhood they happen to be in. It would also help the DFO enforce the existing regulations more efficiently, instead of having people cry wolf constantly on account of ignorance in the regulations they are reporting violations of.