Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EARLY Reg 5 LEH Closed.

EARLY Reg 5 LEH Closed.

dnesday, August 29, 2018 3:00 PM
    The Province is taking additional action to manage moose in the Chilcotin part of the Cariboo Region after a decade-long population decline, wildfire impacts and concerns from First Nations.

Over the past 10 years, moose populations have decreased in the area from about 18,000 to 11,500 animals.

Under the Wildlife Act, the Province is closing the Oct. 1 to Oct. 14 limited-entry hunt in management units 5-13A, 5-13C and 5-14, and closing the moose hunt in portions of management units 5-03, 5-04 and 5-06. In addition, the use of motor vehicles for the purposes of hunting on branch roads or trails in portions of management units 5-12A and 5-12B is prohibited.

These restrictions are the result of discussions between the Province and the Tsilhqot’in Nation, and aim to address concerns related to decreasing moose numbers and increased vulnerability of moose to hunting following last year’s wildfires. Changes to the landscape from wildfire can increase sightlines for hunters, potentially resulting in higher success rates and more moose killed. The restrictions will be in place for this year’s moose hunting season and will be re-evaluated after the season is over.

At the same time, First Nations are working with government and their communities to reduce the harvest of cow moose in the Chilcotin. The moose hunting opportunities that remain in place in this area are considered sustainable and strive to balance the interests of Indigenous peoples and licensed hunters.

The Province is committed to reconciliation and adherence to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

These changes reflect both the short- and long-term goals of government

2. Site Sponsor

Re: EARLY Reg 5 LEH Closed.

"Reduce the harvest of cows". Maybe it should read STOP THE HARVEST OF COWS.....

This sucks for anyone that received that draw this year. I had it 2 years ago and had our bulls in the first 2 days. Saw 3 others also.

Sorry repeat thread....

guest Guest

It's a crop of BS!
    the keepers of the land will continue to harvest cows calves fawns etc. No one SMART enough to see what their LACK OF ACCOUNTABILTY CAUSES.
    ONE LAW FOR ALL !
    This makes me sick where our governments continue to cause Racism!
    Pathetic!

Last 2 years those regions were closed to regulated hunting during the month of September. This year extending that halfway through October. Squeezing a bit more every year. With the government we have in place now, we are loosing hunting opportunity at an alarming rate. Unless something changes, the only ones hunting in BC will be status card holders, or those with deep enough pockets to pay off the former. Sad to see it happening.
    Darcy

NDP plus Green Party

I feel bad for the guys who had draws and made plans to go with friends/family, feel for you.

So am I still in penalty box for three years if I was drawn for a cancelled hunt?

Will be interesting to see what happens when the decline continues. Non of those regions are, historically, prime moose habitat. Who will get the blame when there are no moose in the area and a resident hunter hasn't shot one in years?
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!