Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 5-12B shut down for motor vehicles

Re: 5-12B shut down for motor vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by LYKTOHUNT View Post
    These actions have nothing to do with conservation, its all about power and revenge,Sirloin is absolutely correct, I really fear for what kind of country this is becoming for our kids.I really do not know how to fight this or who is in our corner.If we oppose it we are deemed racist yet our own government separates us with different standards and laws
    I will disagree with you in part. 30 years ago there were no logging roads in existance in most of 5-12 B. No one hunted any farther than what is being allowed now. There are a couple gates going up, asked for by the band to keep ALL hunters out. The bloody moose need somewhere to hide don't you think? It's too bad the Province wouldn't immediately launch a major predator cull at the same time.

Contrary to what many think, there is still good hunting in short distances from the roads that are open. You just need to stretch your legs a bit.

For reference sake, Morrison Meadow and Lehman roads are not FSR. They are public, maintained by the Highway Dept.

These decisions were also not necessarily made by the Natives alone. The Anahim Lake Round Table consists of members from the Band, loggers, ranchers, guides, other tourism operators and a few locals who have an interest. This decision was brought forward through them in an attempt to help the local moose pop. Apparently, some aren't respecting this, such as the BC Hydro truck with 4 hunters who went past the closed point last Saturday with 4 guys in it. Must be nice to have the Government supply your hunting rig too! Powerline ends at 1 km and they were past 24 km...… Maybe they are planning to bring me power for free?
    Last edited by gcreek; 09-18-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Re: 5-12B shut down for motor vehicles

In light of statements made by the local indians, concerning closing down the hunt, and enforcing it themselves, and the road closures, we've decided not to utilize our draw.

We're going way further north instead, for an open season.

If it was just me and a buddy, we would be heading up to anahim lake tomorrow after work, but, one member of our hunting party deserves, but refuses, a handicap placard. Bad knees, bad back, and asbestosis taking almost half his lung capacity, he needs road access. A km walk takes it out of him. It sucks. I don't want to bow to the intimidation tactics being employed, but between dad's lack of mobility, and the risk of conflict with self appointed enforcement, we don't feel it's worth the risk. If we were locals, and knew the land and the people, it would be different, but the last thing I want is to have trouble, and bring it to someone else's doorstep, or find myself with a court date that far from home.

It sucks. There are a couple people who have offered help and advice, and I owe both of you a beverage or help on a hunt down here if you ever happen to draw an island elk!
    Last edited by Squamch; 09-18-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.