Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heading solo to 7B for moose/elk sept 20ish

Heading solo to 7B for moose/elk sept 20ish

Hey guys im heading up to 7B this year since my usual hunting area 7-27 burnt pretty bad. My hunting partner is getting an athroscopy next week so im going solo. I have a solid truck, enclosed trailer with all the gear, quad, genset... Im hesitant between Pink Mountain (Tommy Lakes area) and Chetwynd/Tumbler ridge area. Do any of you know of some nice areas for moose primarily and elk second. I usually debone my animals to get them out so i hike like a maniac although i dont know jack about neither areas. If anyone is in the same situation and looking to partner up for the trip im open to discussion. Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Heading solo to 7B for moose/elk sept 20ish

What have you heard about 7-27?We have a shared hunt there ,what ive heard was that the fire was more in the 7-28 area north and east of Ft st james

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Well the Sacaniche bridge is closed and so is the jinx to head towards the upper 7-27. I looked at the BC Wildfire maps and what hasnt been logged in that pocket is pretty burnt up. The upper 7-27 isnt burnt too bad but theyre logging a storm up there. Thats why i'll be trying my luck in 7B

ooch,,we hunt dust creek and need to get north of Sachaniche river,loggers havent repaired it yet?
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

From what ive read on the Bc Wildfire website the fire is along the road and theres an evacuation alert for Mt Blanchet park and Leo Creek. Their website has more information about it...

I heard there was a fire where the road that heads north from Stuart lake north towards Takla.Heard theres also a fire east of takla near Purvis lake but nothing up the west arm or north of Takla.The bridge over the Sachaniche is a concern for us tho ,how old is that info?Also have some info for you on your hunt if your heading north of Pink Mnt..
    takla

Just put in a call into the Area and the road is open to takla,bridge over the narrows is still there but waiting on confirmation on the Sakanichi crossing ,someones comeing in from the Babine lake side today that will confirm.

takla

Quote Originally Posted by Sakofox View Post
    Hey guys im heading up to 7B this year since my usual hunting area 7-27 burnt pretty bad. My hunting partner is getting an athroscopy next week so im going solo. I have a solid truck, enclosed trailer with all the gear, quad, genset... Im hesitant between Pink Mountain (Tommy Lakes area) and Chetwynd/Tumbler ridge area. Do any of you know of some nice areas for moose primarily and elk second. I usually debone my animals to get them out so i hike like a maniac although i dont know jack about neither areas. If anyone is in the same situation and looking to partner up for the trip im open to discussion. Thanks!
    hunted tommy lakes area 2 years ago, LOTS of wolves, took shots at wolves 3 different days, Black bears are like rats, very good chance you would knock down smokey, we didn't see any moose, access to tommy lakes is by foot, there are few areas around where we saw beds but no moose, their there just gotta be lucky, tough go without quad. this time of year access around the lakes are swampy, we didn't see elk but supposidley there, tommy lakes isn't by pink mountain the turn off is aprox 15min past wonowon. then aprox 120k in, good luck

I dont think the bridge is damaged but i know they wont let you through Middle River crossing since its in the evac area. That was last updated at 1230 today. The map shows the fire across the Jinx coming from the Granisle barge which would be the other way to Dust creek. It doesnt mention anything about that road being close but i cant see it being open. A phonecall to the FSJ fire zone might be a good idea.

Thanks for the info Takla!