Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Sheep and Wildlife Habitat

Re: New Sheep and Wildlife Habitat

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    I think one positive for habitat to come out of the recent fire seasons, is a renewed commitment to forest management - especially around communities. Rekindled enthusiasm for controlled burning in the shoulder seasons is likely to benefit ungulates immensely.
    There’s also a rekindled desire to move in and log unburnt, mature wintering ranges in areas that saw wildfires last year.
    There seem to be as many negatives as positives right now.
    Thats what happens when you have no long term plan and no one to see that it’s carried through if in place.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    There’s also a rekindled desire to move in and log unburnt, mature wintering ranges in areas that saw wildfires last year.
    There seem to be as many negatives as positives right now.
    Thats what happens when you have no long term plan and no one to see that it’s carried through if in place.
    BC definitely needs to formulate a long-term plan
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    BC definitely needs to formulate a long-term plan
    The 1st thing they should do is stop giving an ear to the anti-everythings and identify and carry out habitat burns where required and burn high risk area's to protect lives and property. They have already been told what to do, its a matter of when...I think its becoming increasingly clear that its in the economic interest of almost everyone in BC that we cant keep taking these big hits to our tourism, forest industry etc.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    The 1st thing they should do is stop giving an ear to the anti-everythings and identify and carry out habitat burns where required and burn high risk area's to protect lives and property. They have already been told what to do, its a matter of when...I think its becoming increasingly clear that its in the economic interest of almost everyone in BC that we cant keep taking these big hits to our tourism, forest industry etc.
    i agree with you that the greatest human consequences of forest fires can be mitigated by ignoring people irrationally averse to things like burn management. Yet whatever we do in that regard, it won't much change the impacts to things like vast swaths of land coming under a new global fire regime. Events like large plots of harvestable timber going up in flames, and perpetually smoky summer skies are elements that are here for the long run in afraid.

i agree with you that the greatest human consequences of forest fires can be mitigated by ignoring people irrationally averse to things like burn management. Yet whatever we do in that regard, it won't much change the impacts to things like vast swaths of land coming under a new global fire regime. Events like large plots of harvestable timber going up in flames, and perpetually smoky summer skies are elements that are here for the long run in afraid.
    If they had gotten on it years ago we could of dodged a number of bullets, ok mtn fire is an example of that, the forest was a dead from pine beetle for many years before the fire that destroyed almost 300 homes, I was there and so were others.
    Some of the others were the...I dont want to look at a burnt hillside from my window people.
    What we are seeing today could be small potatoes in regard to what could actually happen in years to come if we dont act now.
    We could be looking at entire towns burnt and loss of life if we keep ignoring the inevitable.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    If they had gotten on it years ago we could of dodged a number of bullets, ok mtn fire is an example of that, the forest was a dead from pine beetle for many years before the fire that destroyed almost 300 homes, I was there and so were others.
    Some of the others were the...I dont want to look at a burnt hillside from my window people.
    What we are seeing today could be small potatoes in regard to what could actually happen in years to come if we dont act now.
    We could be looking at entire towns burnt and loss of life if we keep ignoring the inevitable.
    Agreed. Much of the position we face now has been created by an unwarranted appeal to esthetics. An idea that looks increasingly silly with the gravity of what we now must confront. However, the challenges of beetle kill, and those from large uncontrollable fires, are not one beget to an other, just derived from a common source; demonstrating in a small scope the complexity of multi-factorial problem solving.

Many Forest companies , also known as employers, are struggling with timber supplies now.
    Having them as partners in a habitat burn for wildlife isn't going to come about without some serious concessions

Setting more of BC aside as WMA wildlife management areas will take some more serious commitment........ and finances and concessions and...

Hard times
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Many Forest companies , also known as employers, are struggling with timber supplies now.
    Having them as partners in a habitat burn for wildlife isn't going to come about without some serious concessions

Setting more of BC aside as WMA wildlife management areas will take some more serious commitment........ and finances and concessions and...

Hard times
    well, I guess they're going to be forced to look at the situation more on the order of a 25 year cycle, rather than maximum quarterly profit. And concessions in the interests of other land uses are important for achieving maximum value. Looking at things soley from the perspective of a fickle minority shareholder isn't going to solve their supply problems in the long term.

well, I guess they're going to be forced to look at the situation more on the order of a 25 year cycle, rather than maximum quarterly profit. And concessions in the interests of other land uses are important for achieving maximum value. Looking at things soley from the perspective of a fickle minority shareholder isn't going to solve their supply problems in the long term.

Yes, but it takes care of the short term supply problem.....and boxhitch is likely correct and thats why nothing will ever get done on any large scale....I do wonder if more of a "balanced approach" couldn't have been taken which would of resulted in less timber being lost to some of these fires.

25 year cycle? they should be so lucky. Most areas are dealing with at least a 50 year cycle if not longer.
    Planting is also happening in the marginal terrain that is now being logged, regen is even slower and can also have major set backs
    due to weather events, upwards to 100% die-off of immature plantings.

I spoke to a forester with Tolko after he made a presentation about their practices, and asked whether they felt they had a 20 year timber supply
    He sounded like a politician with his quick distractions
    This was just before they announced shutting down the Merritt mill, due to lack of wood
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole