Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Newcomer

Another Newcomer

Hello, all.

I'm a long-time Vancouverite who's taken an interest in hunting in recent years. I've done my CORE with EatWild, but not my PAL yet (soon). At this point, I'm just interested in meeting others and learning as much as I can, maybe with the hope of joining an experienced local to get some practice at the basics in the Lower Mainland or Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, as I don't know anyone, really. I'm mostly interested in hunting deer (mule and black-tailed, and the non-native fallow on the Gulf Islands) and feral pigs/boar (if there are any locally; I've heard they're spreading in BC).

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another Newcomer

Welcome to the site....I don't hunt the lower mainland area at all but I wish you all the best...remember that success isn't just based on harvesting, it can be based on how much your enjoying yourself and how much your learning as well....do you have any experience with hiking, camping or orienteering?? If you are interested in receiving a few tips in any of those fields feel free to PM me, cheers....

Hi. Thanks, I'll certainly remember that. I've certainly done plenty of local hiking and camping, and a know a few things about orientation, though I'm sure there's plenty more for me to learn. EatWild, the programme which I completed my CORE with, also have workshops on orientation and survival skills.

Welcome aboard fellow Newbie. I've been on this forum for a whopping 24hrs myself now. Lots of good information here.

Welcome, to the world of hunting.

Say hello to time well spent in the outdoors... and goodbye to your bank account haha.

I'm unfortunately in Alberta, so I can't take you out hunting myself. But you'll get lot's of good advice on here. I wouldn't spend much time thinking about those fallow deer or getting hogs, for now. Don't underestimate how fun hunting grouse can be either. Great way for a new hunter to get out and cook a wild game meal!

Welcome!
    The more people that hunt in Vancouver area the better ! Recruit all your friends.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hearthewn Paladin View Post
    Hi. Thanks, I'll certainly remember that. I've certainly done plenty of local hiking and camping, and a know a few things about orientation, though I'm sure there's plenty more for me to learn. EatWild, the programme which I completed my CORE with, also have workshops on orientation and survival skills.
    What did you think of EatWild? Pros & Cons? Totally newbie focused or do you think there are snippets of learning there anyone could pick up?

David

Welcome. Focus on the native species, fallow deer while no bag limit are mostly on private land, and hogs are rare at the moment.

Hey brotha welcome to the site and the addiction....blacktails can be a tough hunt but theres tons of country around vancouver to find them in...hunt thick bush in nasty weather...try to find old growth and your chances go up....muleys just add sometravle time north or east and you will be in muley country....most important pay attention to your location in relation to wmu boundaries....good luck with your future outdoors adventures....if you want more info or have questions pm me

Thanks for the replies, all.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    What did you think of EatWild? Pros & Cons? Totally newbie focused or do you think there are snippets of learning there anyone could pick up?

David
    I liked it, although I found the whole thing a tad rushed. I suppose it's because I'm a perfectionist, but it felt like a ton of information and my brain had a hard time absorbing it that fast. I'd suppose I'll have a more thorough answer after I actually try and put what I've learnt from them to use, like their field dressing videos on their app.

Also, looking back, I wish I'd done my PAL first. You can do it the way I did it, but if you've basically never pickled up a gun before (like me, with the exception of a replica arquebus once), you get a very quick rundown of how to handle one and then you sit the exam immediately. I still had no idea how to answer most of the gun questions, though I still passed the exam comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Welcome. Focus on the native species, fallow deer while no bag limit are mostly on private land, and hogs are rare at the moment.
    Thanks. Yeah, I know a lot of the Gulf Islands are either private land or no-hunting areas (like Mayne Island, where the fallows first broke out). I was under the impression that they'd reached Vancouver Island, since they're good swimmers.

I heard that the feral pigs were spreading and there was concern about them; is the population under control now?
    Last edited by Hearthewn Paladin; 09-08-2018 at 02:38 PM.