Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Binocular help. 700 dollar budget

Re: Binocular help. 700 dollar budget

Steiner Predator 10x42, can be had for around $400-450

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I always used 10x42 but switched to 8x42. I like the bigger field of view, they're brighter in low light due to larger exit pupil
    Agreed, years ago I had some first gen Pentax DCF 10X42s. My buddy liked them so much he got some 8X42s. We compared them side by side, real world, out in the bush. Wider field of view and brighter view in really low light trumped the very little gain in image size.

I switched to 8 (actually 8.5 power) long ago for this very reason. Never regretted it once, even in the mountains.
    If I need to get a real close look, the spotter comes out.
    Twist and pull.

Right now (or 3 days ago when I was there), London Drugs has the Zeiss Terra, Nikon Monarch 7's, and the Pentax all on sale - plus they price match. Good opportunity to look through all 3 back-to-back and I've been very happy buying camera glass from London Drugs for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    Agreed, years ago I had some first gen Pentax DCF 10X42s. My buddy liked them so much he got some 8X42s. We compared them side by side, real world, out in the bush. Wider field of view and brighter view in really low light trumped the very little gain in image size.

1. The diameter of the objective lens (furthest from the eye) basically determines how much light the binocular gathers. Hence, larger objective lens more light gathered.
    2. In low light conditions, our eye pupils can open up to 7mm. Suppose that Elkaddict's binos had an exit diameter of 7mm while his buddy's were very large at 19mm, then of course the light is going to be brighter in the lower power binos . The same reasoning applies in ToddBartell's example where he states that the exit lens was larger. Take the 10x and the 8X with the same diameter objective and exit lens and they will be closely comparable except for the magnification.
    3. Then there is "relative brightness" which is actually a scale pertaining to the exit lens. If you take an exit lens with a 4.5mm diameter and square that number, the result is 20.25 indicating a level of brightness. With a exit lens diameter of 7, the square is 49 which is more than double the brightness of the 4.5mm. Then there is the 18mm exit lens which when squared is a whopping 324. Project these numbers on a straight line and you can see the difference of light you can see.
    4. Essentially, you should pick a set of binos with an exit lens diameter of at least 7mm. Of course, light gathering is enhanced with an increasing objective lens diameter but unless you are star gazing, it would be best to restrict that to less than 50mm. If you are hunting dense forest, then you would prefer low power binoculars, something in the 6 or 7 power range to take advantage of the wider FOV.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Minox 10x42

I have had many quality binoculars over the last 50 years... including Swarovski...

The Minox 10x42 is a highly overlooked, reasonably priced binocular. My choice today.

Review - https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.co...42BVBRW-70.htm

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00SF8O0EG/..._web_gl_sports
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

Maven C1 10x42 looked very good to my eye (assessed in a convention center at the Sheep Show in Reno)and were under $500 Canadian last winter. They have a test program too. Good luck with your choice.

I have Maven B.3 8x's and love'em. But probably not what you're looking for right now.

Probably your best choice right now?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/92217...-hd-binoculars

HD/ED glass that, if you time it right with sales, can be had for ~$200? Sure, they won't be the absolute best. But they'll work very well for 90% of the time and will allow you to spend the remaining funds on your other project.

I have the older Cabela's Instinct (I think that's what they were called) Meopta 10x42s and spent WAY more on them. They're great, but I'd probably go cheaper if I were doing it again and would maybe go Maven.

Good luck.

So I was at Cabelas and tried on everything. I am going to do the Nikon Monarch 7. They are great and I noticed a difference. The only issue is the price but I found them cheaper online.. the guy asked me if I wanted a job so I could get a 50 percent discount. Interesting thought but I can’t do it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackford View Post
    So I was at Cabelas and tried on everything. I am going to do the Nikon Monarch 7. They are great and I noticed a difference. The only issue is the price but I found them cheaper online.. the guy asked me if I wanted a job so I could get a 50 percent discount. Interesting thought but I can’t do it.
    God damn, I would work part time for that kind of benefit .. just think of all the stuff you could buy ...