Thread: New to this Forum and born again hunter

New to this Forum and born again hunter

So after taking 22 hunting seasons off, I've decided to get back into the game this year. I've lurked around this site for a few years and figured since I'm starting back up, it might be good to communicate here as needed. Always good information on this forum.

I'm now 53 years old and have a bummed out shoulder so recoil had me nervous until I started researching the 6.5 Creedmoor. I had let my FAC expire long ago so now I'm waiting for my PAL to be processed and sent to me - hopefully before the season ends . I can't worry about calibre or rifle too much until I have the PAL in hand so it's just a waiting game now. I did get a Mule doe draw for Penticton area so that's a nice insurance card to hold in case Bucks are harder to find these days. The 6.5 sounds like a good compromise as my favorite calibre is the .270 but I know that will whack me a little too hard so at least the 6.5 won't be so sharp and it's proven to be very effective. That's my first choice for now.

I'll get back into reloading for whatever rifle I choose but won't bother until I do a bit of shooting and will evaluate what my shoulder will tolerate. I hope I can get back into it because tying flyhooks all the time does start to accumulate and I can only use and give away so many to friends. I can always shoot minimally with factory loads so for this year I need not worry about reloading - or do I? I did join up at the Abbotsford range.

I'm hoping to get the kid out with me a few times to see if he enjoys this as much as I do and when the time comes that my shoulder does argue with me too much, I can give him all the goodies I'll once again accumulate.

Deer and grouse will be my quarry. I'll keep putting in for a very low odds Elk draw and if I did get ever that Kootenay draw, I'll have all the help I need to for that hunt. I grew up in the Castlegar/Nelson area.

So here I go again, virtually starting all over except for experience, knowledge and the time to get involved.

I'm looking forward to a few weekends out with the boys. I'll even make an effort to do a little hunting.

Hope to learn more about the site, the members and maybe will come across a few of you with time.

Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to this Forum and born again hunter

welcome back....cheers

Nice to see you on another forum!!

Some good guys here with lots of info, many you will know from other places!!

Thank you Gentlemen. Bought some new hunting boots at Cabelas - and "No" not Abby Cabby Camo but actual brown leather boots with Vibram sole and allegedly waterproof. I'll get some sealant on them anyways and do some walk-abouts to make sure I find any hotspots and push them out before the season starts. New boot blisters at the start of the season not to cool from what I recall.

Wife knew I was getting serious when I called Shaw Cable and swapped the Fishing station for the Wild station. Damn, I like that Wild station. Pffft - Rieber, the Lazyboy hunter. One step at a time - and in my mind I call the Wild station; motivational research.

Good to have another one back in the fold! Welcome back.
    Tight groups Safe hunts

Welcome!
    You know what is better then WildTV?!! Buy an Apple TV and use the youtube app to watch all the free hunting you want for free. Look up Randy Newberg, Hush, Born and Raised Outdoors and many more! No commercials and did I mention FREE!
    Cheers

Just found out on my PAL status that its been issued. So now I can get serious about picking out my deer rifle and grouse .22

I see there's a few nice rifles for sale here on the site but I can't "pull the trigger" on one until I have the PAL in hand.

So provided the PAL doen't get lost on the way, I could be ready to go early enough. And the beauty in this is my 22-yr old Son wants to go with me to see if Hunting is really something he wants to get into. As I keep telling him, pulling the trigger is the easy part but the respect and responsibility of taking the life of something so large is not for everyone. He'll tag along with me and if he enjoys and respects every aspect then he can take the next steps of becoming a hunter for next season.