Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dease Lake Evac Alert?? Cancel Flights?

Dease Lake Evac Alert?? Cancel Flights?

Looking like the evac alert zone for the Alkali Lake fire will soon encompass Dease Lake. Anyone know if an alert status would automatically shutdown flights? Can’t imagine they would want to be sprinkling hunters around the back country during an evac alert to have it change to an order and then what?? I have a flight booked on the 1st and I feel it’s on shaky legs. Might be time to start making plan B. Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dease Lake Evac Alert?? Cancel Flights?

Non firefighting aircraft are not allowed to fly within 5 NM and 3000' of the edge of a fire. I'm not sure how the alert situation would be handled but the smoke might also be grounding flights randomly as well. Best to call your guy...

Ya I have a message in. Just wondering if guys have experienced similar seasons. At some point it comes down to making my own call as well. Is it really smart to be heading in when your jump off point could be evacuated while in there. Smoke at minimum could risk some extra days stranded. Or.......should one sew his gonads on and giver? Also a valid option.

Day VFR minimums require 2 miles visibility and clear of cloud for operating below 1000ft AGL and 1 mile vis 2000ft horizontally from cloud and 500 ft vertically from cloud above 1000ft AGL

You can operate outside those minimums but as a passenger you don't want to be in that plane cause if your not pooping your pants you arnt smart enough to realize the potential danger you are in.

i have a flight for sept 15... close to the fire.

If Day gets his way, no one will be flying into 6.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    If Day gets his way, no one will be flying into 6.
    Exactly....however they are struggling to fly each day too and have even tried alternate lakes. Sounds like a number of days they are grounded too.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

I've heard nothing back about canceling our flight... with the rain I'm sure I'll be ok

Chatted with a couple guys sounds like the rain had really helped I’ve been looking at every webcam in the area skies look to have cleared up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterTV View Post
    I've heard nothing back about canceling our flight... with the rain I'm sure I'll be ok
    I understand you really want to go hunting but it’s going to take more then a little rain to do anything to that fire.

don’t know how close you plan on flying in but access may be a no go

Personally I would be thinking other options