Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backcountry books

Backcountry books

Hey Fellas, getting ready for the season and going through my gear lists. I’m wondering if anyone has any good book suggestions to take in the tent? I hunt alone quite a bit. Last year I read the dangerous river, about the nahanni river exploration. Looking for something else along those lines.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backcountry books

Anything Louis L'amour. Short and sweet paperbacks that dont weigh much and are full of all the action and adventure a hunter wants to read whilist enjoying theur own adventures in the backcountry. Pure and simple.

Also, Dry paper if you need to make a fire or wipe your ring. E-books dont burn that well.

Some hunting adjacent non-fiction I've read and enjoyed recently is "A Beast the Color of Winter: The Mountain Goat Observed" by Douglas H. Chadwick, and "Coyote America: A Natural and Supernatural History" by Dan Flores.

I don't pack paper books with me, I now use a kindle e-reader. The one I use is the "Paperwhite" which is back-lit and therefore good for reading after dark, it only requires charging every few weeks, it weighs less than a paper book at 7.6 oz., and you can load it with hundreds of books. For me, it's the biggest luxury I take on a backpack hunt.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

Books by BC people about hunting: Pat Ferguson, "Gone Hunting" & "Gone Hunting Again", Bob Henderson's "Land of the Red Goats" come to mind. Also Chris Kind's books that have more of a cowboy flavor...he had about 5 as I remember. Red Sorenson has an interesting book out as well....forgot the name and its loaned out.

Tony Russ from Alaska has some two or three good sheep hunting books out on Dall sheep hunting.

I'd stay away from the various bear tales, especially if you hunt solo!

Quote Originally Posted by TreeStandMan View Post
    "A Beast the Color of Winter: The Mountain Goat Observed" by Douglas H. Chadwick
    I enjoyed this as well, interesting stuff and well written, only thing I didn't like was Chadwick's penchant for sentimentality.

Get on the Safari Press website. You just missed a big sale. Books from $3-$20. I bought 16 new books for $123. Mostly hardcover regular 80-$100 each

Asia, Africa, Europe, North America. Lots of the classics

Three against the wilderness by Eric Collier. Story about homesteading in the Chilcotin, it will make you feel lazy and want to get up and go

Great stuff guys, keep em coming! I’ve read the beast the colour of winter book as well as coyote America. Both are good. I’m going to check out some of the sheep hunting books as well Three against the wilderness. I’m more of a non-fiction guy!

The Mountain Knows No Expert. Haven't read myself but been meaning to. Biography of an accomplished outdoorsman Mr. Evanoff. I' ve had the pleasure of being guided backcountry ski touring by his son Craig. Met an unfortunate demise by
    grizzly encounter. Provincial Park bears his name.

The beast the color of winter , coyote america ,chris kinds - down hill and in the shade and big horns and stone sheep (both of which can be found at the cache creek gas station by the ashcroft turn off) , steve rinellas - american buffalo and meat eater, the land of the red goat by bob henderson, and tommy walkers - spatsizi , duncan gilchrists books are great too
    Mike eastmans book high country mule deer is good, pat fergusons book

all are good