Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tahltan Central Government Requests Immediate Hunting Ban Throughout Tahltan Territor

Re: Tahltan Central Government Requests Immediate Hunting Ban Throughout Tahltan Terr

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    In case you can’t read well enough to understand the request guides are included in the ban as well if it comes into effect.
    Comprehend?
    I comprehend very well, I was referring to the political masters who have ****ed over resident hunters,,,,again.

Re: Tahltan Central Government Requests Immediate Hunting Ban Throughout Tahltan Terr

it is becoming pretty obvious that if natives want more control over an area, all they have to do is light a few fires...very sad political nonsense with hunters caught in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    it is becoming pretty obvious that if natives want more control over an area, all they have to do is light a few fires...very sad political nonsense with hunters caught in the middle
    Well.............that's not true..............totally unfair suspicion..............we all know first nations history of lighting fires are to cleanse the land and create more game! its not political at all!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...fire-1.4205506
    The grandchildren of Annie Kruger remember her lighting an Export A Green cigarette, throwing on her logger's jacket and heading out to set fires near Penticton, B.C.

Before she died she was a firekeeper — as were generations before her in the Okanagan region of the province — and it was her job to use flames to purify the land by setting fire to berry bushes, hillsides and even mountains to renew growth and clear brush and create natural fireguards.

"Our family have been firekeepers for thousands of years," said Pierre Kruger, Annie's son.

Kruger cited several big fires he said his family started hundreds of years ago when lines of Kou-Skelowh people walked beating drums to warn wildlife before setting fire to what's now called Sylix territory.

"We warned the birds and four-leggeds," he said. "My mother taught us every fire is like a snowflake — no two are alike."

Annie kept up the tradition until she died in 2003.

By then, authorities had long cracked down on the practice, pushing fire prevention hard starting in the 1930s, in full-force after 1945. Fire became bad, something to battle or ban. Remember Smokey, the iconic bear who doused fire near forests?

Experts are urging provinces to adopt more Indigenous burning practices because the long crackdown on constructive burning has built up fodder for fires.

How much more is needed?

"How big is B.C.? That's how much should burn every 100 years," said Heathcott, who estimates that in every century prior to this one, most of our 95-million-hectare province burned.

It's not realistic to set fires on that scale in the 21st century, given that many forested areas are now in proximity to populated centres.

And nobody is advocating going back in time, but proponents like Heathcott say say more burning is needed.

A handful of First Nations groups are working to revive the lost practice of fire-keeping, but it's slow, said Pierre Kruger. "We have to re-educate people. None of our families' fires ever got away, but people don't understand fire anymore."

He says his grandmother's view of the megafires of today would be simple: people forgot to use fire.

How reviving the aboriginal practice of controlled fires could be good for land and wildlife. This story was produced with the support of the Bill Lane Centre for American West
    http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2392539513

Very educational.
    If only I had a dollar for everyone that has looked at me like an idiot when I tell them our decades of fire suppression is the reason for the intensity of fires we have now.

a factor for the intensity yes...how about the cause though?

Central Okanagan posted July 6, 2018 by Dylan McCullough
    RCMP suspect arsonist behind 29 Okanagan wildfires
    The RCMP have released a shocking revelation of a suspected serial arsonist.

Over the past four years, Police have reason to believe 29 suspicious fires were deliberately set in Naramata, Okanagan Falls, Osoyoos, Oliver, Penticton, Summerland and Lake Country, according to a statement released by the RCMP.
    http://www.kelownanow.com/watercoole...an_were_arson/

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Good map Sirloin
    reality check
    Agreed. Good graphic.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

They can go kiss my ass!
    I don't remember when I was now under the rule of any FN band???
    I have no voting rights with them.....
    My rules are passed from the government "we/I elect"...
    not no FN pretend BS.

What I find interesting is I see a few of my Talthan Facebook friends are already harvesting moose in the "proposed" area.......

What bugs me is the lack of consultation....

I also think the report that road kill has increased is not correct.

Regardless I truly hope the current BC Gov't is getting feedback from whoever represents the Resident Hunter and GOABC....

Finally if it is closed, then close it for an entire year and eliminate winter hunting when critters are perhaps more vulnerable and stressed than they are now.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

[QUOTE=Sirloin;2028525]Well.............that's not true..............totally unfair suspicion..............we all know first nations history of lighting fires are to cleanse the land and create more game! its not political at all!

Just ask a couple of former residents of Slave Lake Alberta about this one.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

I like how it states many of the tahltan families and locals will refrain, why not say ALL, bunch of clowns in the big top, that's what I get from it