Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Re: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Just like SSS has said, people destroy capes especially on August hunts where heat is an issue. Take a few first timers and have them correctly flesh, turn ears, split lips/eyes and keep enough cape and see how many can do it. That number won't be 100%, could be 90% but I bet 1/10 will goof something up if it is the first time not dropping a 'full head' off at the taxi.

That being said, my first ram I messed up on turning the ears. I turned them into two pieces!!!! I just kept turning and well you end up with cartilage in one hand and the hide in the other. Mistakes happen, luckily my taxi was able to glue it back together so no big deal.

Pack out a hide, you might be doing someone a HUGE favour that messed up a hide. I would have paid the $800-1000 for a hide for my first ram if I did mess it up beyond repair, it was a very special ram.

I have no problem saying that I have kept 3 out of 4 capes for myself, my third ram was special but I had no plans of mounting it other than euro style in an old Packer-Nelson bag. So I made the easy decision to leave it in the hands of my taxi for a credit.
    Agree with what you are saying, but think what the OP was talking about was people shooting something they dint really want other then the money they were getting from the cape/hide.
    One thing I don't quit get is you say you would have bought a cape for your first ram for it was a very special ram to you, but in that case if you had to do that then it is not really yours
    when you look at it. I don't think I will have any more sheep or goats mounted other then euros but would bring out the capes for do know others that will use them.

I tagged a very nice Mulie many years ago, and messed up the cape. The taxidermist that I talked to said he had a cape that I could have him mount my deer with,
    but it just seemed wrong to me. It just wasn't my deer , so the antlers are all that are on my wall. This was way before Euro mounts were popular.
    On the other hand that is just my opinion, if someone has no problem with another animals cape on there wall, well, that's your choice.

Another way to look at it is that selling the cape is just another form of sustenance. What does $400, $1,000 or even $3,000 buy you?
    A hug pile of veggies, carbs and drinks to enjoy with your organic wild game, that’s what.
    And it ends up in less “waste” than leaving the cape to rot.

Too many folks confuse their own opinion with what is ethical. They are not mutually exclusive, I don’t care who you are.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    Another way to look at it is that selling the cape is just another form of sustenance. What does $400, $1,000 or even $3,000 buy you?
    A hug pile of veggies, carbs and drinks to enjoy with your organic wild game, that’s what.
    And it ends up in less “waste” than leaving the cape to rot.

Too many folks confuse their own opinion with what is ethical. They are not mutually exclusive, I don’t care who you are.
    In my opinion trading wildsheep capes for veggies, carbs and drinks or cash and trying to justify it as a sustenance or subsistence hunt is kind of stretching it a bit.
    But then, as they say...opinions are like A holes...everyone’s got one.

I would take it even a step further and suggest very little hunting these days is for sustenance or substistence. Once you factor in what most folks spend on gear, fuel etc you can get meat much cheaper per pound at the grocery store or your local farmer.
    I just hate to see restrictions come about because people think since they don’t want to do something, nobody should be allowed.
    I really doubt very many big game animals hit the dirt just for the cape. Of course nobody has any actual data on that so we are all just guessing.

I am curious, for those against the selling of capes, does that apply to all species, or just some? What about trapping and the selling of those hides?
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    In my opinion trading wildsheep capes for veggies, carbs and drinks or cash and trying to justify it as a sustenance or subsistence hunt is kind of stretching it a bit.
    Oh the irony.
    Twist and pull.

never heard that you could get so much for a sheep cape...you may have just created a few copycat sheep hunters looking for profit.....maybe post up a couple of home made explosive recipes and ask us which recipe for explosives we think is more dangerous and should not be allowed...

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    But then, as they say...opinions are like A holes...everyone’s got one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    Oh the irony.
    Krico, after you’ve explained what’s ironic and seeing as how we’ve already gone over ethics maybe we should discuss legalities.

so how much is a sheep cape worth?

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    so how much is a sheep cape worth?
    For the sake of keeping the peace, if you've got one to sell, call a taxidermist. If you've got one to buy, call a taxidermist. It really isn't all that much. If you can recover about 25% of a 2 week jetboat/flyin trip, youre doing ok.