Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Re: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    But if the ram is legal and passes inspection, where is the problem??
    I believe our laws shouldn't govern our ethics, our ethics should govern our laws.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's ethical. Using deer piss as an attractant is no longer legal, does that mean it's always been unethical? I don't think so. It's goes both ways.

I don't think the question is CAN I sell a cape, it's more SHOULD I sell a cape. If the larger community thinks it's fine, it's probably fine. I personally don't see a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Absolutely.
    Its a tough topic for sure.
    Times are changing quickly for us. There is no need to draw unwanted attention.
    For those who see $$ in hunting....Shame on you! Please stop. I’m saying this because it’s more common than we care to believe.
    so should guide/outfitters be shut down, or just stop? they are making money directly from hunting.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

In the animal kingdom , animals eating their own kind is a form of crowding control, to eliminate competition
    Never is it done out of spite
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    so should guide/outfitters be shut down, or just stop? they are making money directly from hunting.

So so many good points and questions.
    We need to discuss sensitive topics. Ask ourselves the hard questions because asking-the NDP/GREEN after the fact would be a tragedy.

More division amongst hunters is definitely not something we need. GOs and residents really want the same thing - healthy, productive and properly managed wildlife.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    In the animal kingdom , animals eating their own kind is a form of crowding control, to eliminate competition
    Never is it done out of spite
    How true.

Should we shut down packers, air charter businesses...etc.
    They make money off hunting.

Or would it be simpler to implement a one in three rule or a 5 year sit out if a hunter (resident or non resident) harvests a sheep of one sub species, thinhorn or bighorn.
    BC is the only place that can provide that kind of option for wild sheep.....might be worth thinking about.....I bet a few guys would be more selective if they couldn’t get an over the counter sheep tag every year.
    Simple cocept.... if you don’t pull the trigger you hunt until you do...after you shoot it’s time out on the bench.
    If the guy still wants to sell the cape.... the more power to him.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    More division amongst hunters is definitely not something we need. GOs and residents really want the same thing - healthy, productive and properly managed wildlife.
    You’re right on that!

I'm no t sure I understand the problem
    i can go shed hunting and sell my sheds
    i can go mushroom picking and sell them but ethically I shouldn't use or sell portions of my kill that might otherwise go to waste
    because it hurts someone's feelings
    ridiculous

2014 my son and I both harvested goats and both animals were caped out for shoulder mounts. Due to a lack of funds it was going to be a few yrs before I could get either animal mounted. Knowing that we would have tons of oportunity to hunt goats again I decided to sell both capes to a taxidermist in exchange for work that was being done on my son's bear mount. Did I harvest the goats with the intention of selling the capes......NO! I ended up getting both goat skulls bleached and honestly prefer European mounts. Do I see anything wrong with selling a cape instead of letting it rot.....NO! Do I feel that it's wrong to harvest an animal, knowing it's not the size ( antler/horns ) you prefer, just to sell the cape.......YES!!

This year I didn't decide what I was doing with the cape until the scalpel was already cutting. To me it was a regular sheep hunt as per normal.

I love to chase thinhorms more than any other species. I love to be in the places they call home. That's why I hunt them.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....