Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Re: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    I don,t know the value of a sheep cape. I doubt that it would put a big dent in the price of a DIY sheep hunt.If it is legal why are we even debating it?
    Because people always feel the need to over complicate and make issues of things that aren’t issues, what’s wrong with selling it? Just another part of the animal getting used, and what is a “so so animal”, anything I kill I look at as being as valuable as another whether it’s a spike or a big trophy (not that I’ve shot anything huge)

I dont know the value of this thread

Just asking the question, it was thrown my way and I was looking for the members to give some feed back.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    I don,t know the value of a sheep cape. I doubt that it would put a big dent in the price of a DIY sheep hunt.If it is legal why are we even debating it?
    We cant debate the legality of selling capes.
    We can however debate the morals and ethics behind it. Which I think the original post was driving at.
    Yes the value of a sheep cape is very high, clearly enough to pay for a trip and then have $ left over. This hunting for selling must stop! We can take a few minutes of our time to tell others to kindly refrain from hunting for $$.
    To base a hunting trip on earning money off the parts is legal, but ethical? NO.
    Perhaps us as hunters could for once take a proactive approach to laws and regulations and say no to this type of hunting before our lousy govt and anti hunters decide for us. Sheep, goats, black bear and mtn lions are on the NDP/Green hit list.
    As hunters we are obligated to hunt for the future so our children and grandchildren can enjoy such fantastic resources as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    We cant debate the legality of selling capes.
    We can however debate the morals and ethics behind it. Which I think the original post was driving at.
    Yes the value of a sheep cape is very high, clearly enough to pay for a trip and then have $ left over. This hunting for selling must stop! We can take a few minutes of our time to tell others to kindly refrain from hunting for $$.
    To base a hunting trip on earning money off the parts is legal, but ethical? NO.
    Perhaps us as hunters could for once take a proactive approach to laws and regulations and say no to this type of hunting before our lousy govt and anti hunters decide for us. Sheep, goats, black bear and mtn lions are on the NDP/Green hit list.
    As hunters we are obligated to hunt for the future so our children and grandchildren can enjoy such fantastic resources as well.
    ok then

If I go hunting and end up with a cape I don’t want to mount and then sell it, it’s OK.

If the sole reason I set out on a hunting trip is to profit from parts it’s BAD.

Got it.....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    ok then

If I go hunting and end up with a cape I don’t want to mount and then sell it, it’s OK.

If the sole reason I set out on a hunting trip is to profit from parts it’s BAD.

Got it.....
    Absolutely.
    Its a tough topic for sure.
    Times are changing quickly for us. There is no need to draw unwanted attention.
    For those who see $$ in hunting....Shame on you! Please stop. I’m saying this because it’s more common than we care to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    I dont know the value of this thread
    .....agreed

So here is the thing... Yes, you can see it both ways. Let's talk about sheep for the sake of arguement here. A sheep cape you can get probably just over a grand for. Yes, that is a fist-full of dollars. As somebody who has hunted these animals quite extensively, this amount does not come close to covering my costs. I don't believe that there are but more than a handfull of sheep hunters willing to shoot a legal sheep just because they can sell the cape. More likely, is that they would have shot the "small legal sheep" anyways because they "need" to come home successfull. They just use the $ excuse to justify it to the buddies. The supply of sheep capes to the marketplace keeps the value on the capes low. This is a really good thing. If you were not allowed to sell the capes, the price would be very very high. Just think about it. A hunter from the usa shoots a sheep and paid $50,000 plus for this opertunity. The guide has a critter come into his cape shack, and destroys the hide. This guide WILL find a cape for this client, and I wonder how much the hide would cost then... maybe 10-15k? I don't know. Maybe then a sheep WOULD get shot by the guides themselves just to get a hide. Yes, this is all speculation. But I would bet that people would ACTUALLY spend the 5k to go sheep hunting in order to sell that cape for 15k.

Quote Originally Posted by eatram View Post
    So here is the thing... Yes, you can see it both ways. Let's talk about sheep for the sake of arguement here. A sheep cape you can get probably just over a grand for. Yes, that is a fist-full of dollars. As somebody who has hunted these animals quite extensively, this amount does not come close to covering my costs. I don't believe that there are but more than a handfull of sheep hunters willing to shoot a legal sheep just because they can sell the cape. More likely, is that they would have shot the "small legal sheep" anyways because they "need" to come home successfull. They just use the $ excuse to justify it to the buddies. The supply of sheep capes to the marketplace keeps the value on the capes low. This is a really good thing. If you were not allowed to sell the capes, the price would be very very high. Just think about it. A hunter from the usa shoots a sheep and paid $50,000 plus for this opertunity. The guide has a critter come into his cape shack, and destroys the hide. This guide WILL find a cape for this client, and I wonder how much the hide would cost then... maybe 10-15k? I don't know. Maybe then a sheep WOULD get shot by the guides themselves just to get a hide. Yes, this is all speculation. But I would bet that people would ACTUALLY spend the 5k to go sheep hunting in order to sell that cape for 15k.

Very good points. Recently the value of life size stone cape has been set at 3k US.
    Without a doubt I can do an amazing trip on that dime. Regardless putting a value like this on them can lead to questionable hunting ethics. And yes this is happening a lot. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Very good points. Recently the value of life size stone cape has been set at 3k US.
    Without a doubt I can do an amazing trip on that dime. Regardless putting a value like this on them can lead to questionable hunting ethics. And yes this is happening a lot. Sad but true.
    But if the ram is legal and passes inspection, where is the problem??
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever