Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Re: The Ethics of Selling Capes

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    just like bear gallbladders?
    Gallbladders are different, as they are used in traditional Asian medicine, and allowing their sale opens the door for "market hunting", and widespread poaching.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Gallbladders should be legal to sell. If every hunter that legally killed a bear sold the gall bladder, it would remove the appeal of poaching for gall bladders. Just like prohibition enticed criminals to get involved.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

for me who has more value in the hunt and antlers/horns the cape isnt worth much. My dad mounted one deer for me when i was young but i doubt i will get another mount in my life. to me i love hanging on to the anters/horns too much to have them on a mount. i much prefer a euro mount, which saves money and i always can pull down the horns/antlers to look at when i feel like it. i know when i go home to my parents there is a pile of elk skulls deer skulls and sheds on their living room floor that i wouldn't be able to do with a shoulder mount. so for me selling the cape is very high on my list of things to do after a hunt. if i put in the effort to kill an animal, pack salt, flesh, turn lips, ears nose etc pack out for 10+ km why should i not be able to sell it? sure it pays for the hunt, doing a two week backpack hunt costs a lot of money, time off work etc but thats not the reason for selling the cape. im sure the number of people who fund their hunts this way is very minimal, and its still a legal animal that they killed. i dont have any less respect for the animal i just killed because i want to sell the cape. someone will appreciate the cape. i feel i am a minority as most people like getting taxidermy work done but it sure is nice to have the option to sell a cape if you choose to do so.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

I see from the vast majority of answers that common sense prevails in this thread.

I find it interestiing that some try to tell people why they do things. The only person that can know the answer for sure is the person doing it.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    just like bear gallbladders?
    Personally would have no issues with legally harvested bear gallbladder being sold as long as the rest of the animal was utilized

Truth of the matter is the only problem with gallbladder’s is those that poached or wasted bears to get them. It’s those who chose to break the laws to obtain them

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Gallbladders should be legal to sell. If every hunter that legally killed a bear sold the gall bladder, it would remove the appeal of poaching for gall bladders. Just like prohibition enticed criminals to get involved.
    I agree and the increased hunting of bears would help control the increasing bear population and resulting problem bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I see from the vast majority of answers that common sense prevails in this thread.

I find it interestiing that some try to tell people why they do things. The only person that can know the answer for sure is the person doing it.

SSS
    Common sense prevails Brent.
    The last thing we need is to have our illustrious NDP/Green group start targeting hunters and species just because they are harvesting animals that have little meat value ( volume wise) and a fair market value for their hide.
    If it’s legal to harvest, it should be the hunters choice as to what he does with any legal to keep part of that animal.

I also agree that legally harvested gall bladders should be marketable.

The technicalities will take the fun out of hunting if one wants to dwell on it...you can’t even enjoy sheep ribs around your spike camp campfire the way the regs are written.
    All edible portions must go to your place of residence or meat cutter, etc.....in accordance with the Wildlife Act.
    BS, they are damn good seasoned with woodsmoke, salt and a bit of garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Should that thought apply to the sale of game meat as well?
    Pardon my ignorance of the legalities of marketing wild game animal parts but this is exactly what I thought of too?
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I agree and the increased hunting of bears would help control the increasing bear population and resulting problem bears.
    Good point!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I don,t know the value of a sheep cape. I doubt that it would put a big dent in the price of a DIY sheep hunt.If it is legal why are we even debating it?